Can I install reeds myself?

2B115186 - Mercury 175 ProXS

Been reading a lot about these TDR reeds and was wondering if this is something I can do myself. Opening up engines scares me a little bit but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. My motor has lost about RPMs and about 4 MPH since it was new and wondering if reeds could be the culprit (Yes, Don, I know I should have my injectors serviced.... but that's a long turnaround for me without my motor running... maybe next winter).

1. Will I need to do an oil prime sequence afterwards? I would like to not have to rely on my local shop if possible (long stories...).
    2. Price on a full set of reeds for my motor?
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 02-03-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Or do the ProXS series already have carbon fiber?
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Sure you can, be observant in taking apart might event use a cell phone camera and take pictures during steps , you’ll love the TDR reeds the ONLY reeds Don Weed and I will install in an engine !!!

Jay @ JSRE
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

4. Member
    What Jay said TDR

5. Member
    ProXS came from factory with carbon fiber reeds, no need to replace unless defective.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarsonMarine View Post
    Your reeds are the same as the ones in the thread below this one,call if interested,Chris
    Silverfox is correct,I stand corrected,the pic in the breakdown shows the 4 petal reed,but it is in fact a 5 petal composite reed,although I believe it may be a glass reed,and not carbon,Chris

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They're CF.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don , Interesting conversation with Tony @ TDR about what you and I were talking about he said you and he had same discussion so all is good !!!

Jay @ JSRE
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You bet!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor