Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It helps a ton to have the motor trimmed up a lot while on the trolling motor in shallow water. I always trim the motor up a bunch before fishing shallow and have only had to clean thermostats 3 times in the last 19 years of owning and operating Optimax motors.
    I agree, my 2014 was a junk collector until I did the same as Savage. Problem disappeared after that.

2. Member
    I'm not sure how that would help. In any case I think this is a case of "take the good with the bad." You can run these motors FAR higher (PtP) than the old motors that did not have the low-water pickups. I am willing to make that trade without thinking. After a while, you can learn to clean out the strainer pretty quickly, and the t-stats when engine temp doesn't come up before you launch. Main thing is to raise the motor before hitting the T.M. to keep those low water pickups away from trash.

I fish Lay most of the time, and there are always floating weeds that I can't see if there's much wave action. Running over those will certainly ingest crap. My older 2.5's never had this problem, except for one where I installed a Bob's nose cone with low water pickup. At first I thought that was "a low water pickup and lake vacuum cleaner".
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by 99intimidator View Post
    Mine stick all the time but what I found what works for me. I put the motor in gear and run the motor 1500 to 2000 rpms. When the motor gets to around 120 degrees I shut it off . Then I just watch the temp gauge with motor off when it gets to 130 I fire the motor back up and usually they will clean out . Sometimes I’ve had to do 2 or 3 times to get the thermostats open enough to clean out. This works for me but I’m down south where it’s not so cold.
    This works most of the time, I do it a little different by running in gear bow high water pressure under 10, shut it down for 5 to 10 minutes, start up and put it on the pad immediately to get max water flow while the stats are wide open
    Letting it hot soak longer will assure the stats are wide open
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Update, since posting this and following Savage's advice, I have not had anymore debris stuck in the T'stats! Thanks to everyone who replied and commented.
    1999 TR-21
    2013 Merc 250 ProXS
    S/N 2B013848 and Model 1250P73BD
    25p Tempest Plus

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It DOES make a difference!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    It just seems silly to say Mercury designed there system to run in clean water. What about the peaple who live in Oklahoma. Texas , Louisiana ,etc.

7. Member
    +1 ^^^^^ many states have same problem also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    It just seems silly to say Mercury designed there system to run in clean water. What about the peaple who live in Oklahoma. Texas , Louisiana ,etc.
    Fully understand what you're saying, and can appreciate it also.

However... to put it in perspective: Would you pour muddy water with mulch floating in it into the radiator of your vehicle and then expect the cooling system to function properly?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I had my 1992 200 HP HO for 15 years and sold it running. The only thing I ever replaced ( other than regular maintenance ) on it was on my first trip out, a trim relay went bad and the motor was stuck in the up position. That was it. I didn't even know where the thermostat was located. It was never changed.

With the 2009 Merc. Opti, I have removed the stats a number of times in just the 5 years I have owned. This last time, I had both thermostats with a twig in them and couldn't do Leon's method as the temp was way to low at 86 and with Leon's method, the most I could get to was about 100. Stats will not open and release the twigs at 100. The goal with Leon's method is to temporarily heat the engine up so that the stats open, the twig dislodges and you quickly give it some gas to pump water through the system so you can move the twig off the stat. The stat then can close all the way to warm up the engine and you are back in business again.

Anyways, this motor has a number of failure points, one of which is the thermostat. That is just indisputable.

But once I suffered through the learning of this motor ( which Don, Leon, Joe, Savage and others have witnessed ), I learned to appreciate it. I can't divorce her now after 600 hours, we have gone through too much together!
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tom- can't say it's indisputable... but we can agree to disagree.

I have yet to see a thermostat that is self-cleaning and unaffected by debris. And that includes several other "colors" of engines from the first couple decades of my career, too.

I fought this all the time with my 2015. The mechanic showed me some pictures of what they found in the Thermostats. It got so bad I carried the tools with me to clean the thermostats or replace one. It is the low water pick up on the nose of the lower unit. I told mercury we didn't run the things in bathtubs. Trim it up as far as you can get it in shallow water. Especially grass lakes like Seminole and Guntersville. I havent had any problems with my 2021

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    This works most of the time, I do it a little different by running in gear bow high water pressure under 10, shut it down for 5 to 10 minutes, start up and put it on the pad immediately to get max water flow while the stats are wide open
    Letting it hot soak longer will assure the stats are wide open
    This
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Respectfully: This is not something I would recommend. Imagine the sudden shock of cold lake water dumped around #6 at 20+ GPM (not psi, Gallons per Minute). Really a good idea to give it a fighting chance to stabilize temperature (and expansion) rather than making such abrupt changes as the piston cannot possibly expand and contract in "unison" with such abrupt sleeve changes.

Just something to think about.

14. Member
    I remember fishing one tournament (2-3 days of practice and 2 days of tournament) where I cleaned the Tstats 5 times. Of course, I spent most of my time fishing a huge shallow lake area and would get on pad by turning the motor all the way to lock and hammering the throttle. Trying to take off straight would bury the motor in the muddy bottom. I'm sure there are designs out there that clog less, but there is no doubt the crazy fisherman driving the boat is a significant contributor

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    I'm sure there are designs out there that clog less, but there is no doubt the crazy fisherman driving the boat is a significant contributor
    You're a rare breed, my friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12