After market vst fuel pump?

Serial # or158706
    F25EL

What's people's opinions on cheaper after market fuel pumps in the vst. I purchased one and not sure on the reliability. I wonder if anyone has seen a common problem with these. If I can get a few years out of one I'd be fine with one. I fish just small waters. Thank you

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiller1981 View Post
    Serial # or158706
    F25EL

What's people's opinions on cheaper after market fuel pumps in the vst. I purchased one and not sure on the reliability. I wonder if anyone has seen a common problem with these. If I can get a few years out of one I'd be fine with one. I fish just small waters. Thank you
    I put one in my 98 225 Merc and had no issues. I do hear they are hit and miss. The OEM one was 500.00 the aftermarket one was like 25.00. I figured I would take a shot for the price difference.

3. Member
    Yeah.. I was curious. I don't see much discussion on the topic and thought I'd try to find some feedback. If it last a few years it was worth the purchase. OEM prices are crazy high even if better quality.

4. Banned
    Yeah.. I was curious. I don't see much discussion on the topic and thought I'd try to find some feedback. If it last a few years it was worth the purchase. OEM prices are crazy high even if better quality.
    I understand some don't want to risk being on the water broke down. But to me it doesn't take that long to replace the pump so I bought a spare lol. I dunno if it was like a 100.00 difference I would just go OEM but 475.00 difference? I couldn't bring myself to pay that. Just my opinion.

5. Member
    How long have you been running the aftermarket pump?

6. Banned
    How long have you been running the aftermarket pump?
    I had maybe 20hrs on it when I sold the boat. The new owner has already put 20 hrs on it and we still talk. He hasn't had any issues. I forgot to give him the spare. If something happens I'll send it to him.

7. Member
    You recall what brand it was?

8. Banned
    You recall what brand it was?
    I don't think there's a brand. The box is blank.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They sure are cheap. Have to wonder how well they're wound, whether volume and pressure will hold up over time (remember... NO engine lives indefinitely when run lean), and then the more obvious thing:

Given the unknown quality and manufacturing, is it worth submersing the said electrical device in gasoline, strapped to the back of your boat, and heading out to sea?

Just some food for thought... in either of the above cases, the "savings" may very well be non-existent.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    If it was going out to sea.. I'd think twice about an aftermarket pump. Being as I fish small waters I'm not to concern. I think it's worth the gamble.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Out to Sea" is a bit outdated, I guess. Perhaps I should have said "further from shore than you care to swim".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Stranded on the water wasnt what I got out of the metiphor. Having a potential “TIME BOMB” hanging on my transome is what I got out of it!
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ding Ding Ding ^^^^