Anybody Tried These Trim/Tilt Relays?

My 2013 150 Etec randomly gets stuck in the trim up position. To make it stop, I have to remove the cowling and top on the trim/tilt relay box so I'm guessing there is a short inside the box. The part is around $150 from my dealer, but I saw where you can buy them for quite a bit less on Ebay and Amazon. Has anybody tried one to replace a faulty trim/tilt relay and if so, has it held up for you?

Here is a link to the part.
    Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TILT-TR...YAAOSwsW9Y39vk

Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/TILT-RELAY-EV...0742941&sr=8-1
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    You get what you pay for,,,I would stay OEM but thats just me. Spend $$$$$$$$$ on an outboard then skimp on aftermarket parts.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Neither of those says they're for a 150.....I agree with OMC about OEM parts....

4. Member
    Personally not fitted either but they will work (pretty much all G1 and for that matter G2 use the the same relay assy-P/N 0586767). As for the quality of the two you linked too they could last or fail first time out. I would go the Ebay if you rolled the dice because it is cheaper and the +ve and -ve eyes on the Amazon one I do not like.

5. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    My 2013 150 Etec randomly gets stuck in the trim up position. To make it stop, I have to remove the cowling and top on the trim/tilt relay box so I'm guessing there is a short inside the box. The part is around $150 from my dealer, but I saw where you can buy them for quite a bit less on Ebay and Amazon. Has anybody tried one to replace a faulty trim/tilt relay and if so, has it held up for you?

Here is a link to the part.
    Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TILT-TR...YAAOSwsW9Y39vk

Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/TILT-RELAY-EV...0742941&sr=8-1
    Hey ST. Did you go with one of these relays and if so how has it worked out for you? I replaced my tnt relay a year ago with the $150 OEM unit and it failed again this week. Goes into runaway trim down mode and won't shut off. I ordered two of the ebay units today with fingers crossed

The problem with the trim not shutting off either in the up or down mode is most like likely one of your trim switches is shorted! The one on the bow is the most likely one because it gets water in it.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I bet I have replaced 10 of those Ebay and Amazon tilt relays......stay with OEM and be happy. Those cause more problems than they correct.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    We did get a little water over the bow. It was rough. It was two days later, hot and dry, that we were pulled up to shore enjoying some lunch and the trim just kicked in and went full down and wouldn't shut off. Actuating the courtesy and bow switches would make it stop but when you let off it would start again until it finally stopped. Took off after lunch and trim worked fine. A few hours later headed back to the ramp and it wouldn't trim up on plane. Shut down at the dock and the trim was running in the down mode. Actuated the throttle button a few times and it finally stopped. Disconnected the battery for the 300 mile trip home.

I never did replace this relay and it's been close to two years since it has stuck in the up position. Seemed to happen somewhat often in 2019 but has been good ever since I made this post over 2 years ago.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

10. Member
    I replaced mine in April using this relay from Amazon..........and for not using the OEM part, I am staying away from the over priced part because all I read is how the OEM part if failing in all HP ranges. I paid $46.71 to the house......I could purchase 3 of these for the cost of the OEM part that seems to fail quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1