Fox/Coyote Hunting

I've hunted my whole life for basically everything under the sun. Everything except for fox/coyote. Now I've shot a few that I've come across while hunting for other critters, but I've never targeted them. Well now I've decided to finally get into this and I wanted to see what all gear you folks recommend for getting me started.

I planned on getting a nice FoxPro electronic call to start. And I'll need a nice red light (recommendations would be appreciated). Is there any other gear I need to get into this?

Thanks.

2. Banned
    If you have FB search on there.A few of my bud travel and do coyote hunting competitions.Some of these guys have some crazy set ups.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    If you have FB search on there.A few of my bud travel and do coyote hunting competitions.Some of these guys have some crazy set ups.
    Yeah, I'm in one smaller varmint group. Unfortunately, most of the hunting/rifle related groups have had to go completely private, so unless you can get someone in the group to invite you, you can't just search for them.

Yeah, it seems a lot like bass fishing. You can spend a few hundred bucks and get the job done, or you can go all out and spend thousands.

I have a fox pro I'm going to sell.

I use mostly hand calls. Night eyes makes a nice red scan light and red scope light. Hunt the wind and enjoy a new addiction.

5. Member
    For me, I'm only after coyotes. Thus I've killed my share of Song Dogs with my Primos Boss Dogg. 2 Guys I know like their FoxPro too.

When I want to get serious, I prefer a MB-550 and/or Bridger #2 ...... both have offset.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

6. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    If you just want to start out get a few hand calls. I would recommend as we get into late February and March to learn how to use an open reed and make a wounded pup call. It literally is my single best sound cone breeding season. Also, you need as much as you want or as little as you want.

i started with a government mouth call and my deer rifle. I have progressed to some fancy electronic calls and specialty camo.

im back to mouth calls and my deer stuff. I shoot a solid copper bullet and it doesn’t tear the hide up to bad. I’m back to simple because I just kill more yotes and cats this way.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    If you just want to start out get a few hand calls. I would recommend as we get into late February and March to learn how to use an open reed and make a wounded pup call. It literally is my single best sound cone breeding season. Also, you need as much as you want or as little as you want.

i started with a government mouth call and my deer rifle. I have progressed to some fancy electronic calls and specialty camo.

im back to mouth calls and my deer stuff. I shoot a solid copper bullet and it doesn’t tear the hide up to bad. I’m back to simple because I just kill more yotes and cats this way.
    You mentioned deer rifles. What caliber are you using?

Varmint hunting is the only thing we can use an AR for here in PA, but I planned on running a 243 or 204 personally.

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I use my 7mm-08 with a Barnes triple shock bullet. They drop lol. Seriously though, I do this because I’m not worried about the meat and my gun is a tack driver. I also use a 6mm and an AR, but most the time I just grab my 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by fishballer06 View Post
    You mentioned deer rifles. What caliber are you using?

Varmint hunting is the only thing we can use an AR for here in PA, but I planned on running a 243 or 204 personally.
    Killed many with both calibers. My 243 load is not fur friendly, big exits and plum messy. There are other bullet options that are friendly, I choose not to change perfection with my 243. the 204 is very friendly and drops them hard.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    I use my 7mm-08 with a Barnes triple shock bullet. They drop lol. Seriously though, I do this because I’m not worried about the meat and my gun is a tack driver. I also use a 6mm and an AR, but most the time I just grab my 7mm-08
    7mm-08 is what I use too. Hand held call and my Mtn rifle with 120 grain HP. That thing blows up on a shoulder/chest shot so there's no tracking required and no exit hole