Loading boat on trailer with only the trolling motor

I had to load my boat today with the trolling motor. I put the trailer in deeper than I normally would thinking it would be better to avoid hitting the trailer with my trolling motor. I got everything line up and made a run into the bunks and pulled the trolling motor up at the last moment. Since my trailer was in too deep the boat didn’t really center in the bunks and I had to do alot of adjusting to get it on the trailer right. Also the nose came in a bit low at the bow roller and I had to lift it onto the roller.

I’m assuming I would have been better off with putting the trailer in at regular depth. Any thoughts or suggestions?

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

2. Member
    You did right, but make sure that the top front of the fenders are out of the water, so that the boat doesn't float off the side. Many times you will have to pull lots of slack out in your winch strap and then winch it up from there.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eh2000 View Post
    I had to load my boat today with the trolling motor. I put the trailer in deeper than I normally would thinking it would be better to avoid hitting the trailer with my trolling motor. I got everything line up and made a run into the bunks and pulled the trolling motor up at the last moment. Since my trailer was in too deep the boat didn’t really center in the bunks and I had to do alot of adjusting to get it on the trailer right. Also the nose came in a bit low at the bow roller and I had to lift it onto the roller.

I’m assuming I would have been better off with putting the trailer in at regular depth. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Was your outboard not working that you had to use the TM?
    I have never even thought of using TM, since if by some happenstance you couldn't pull the motor up on time, it will break your shaft.
    If your outboard is not running, bring it to the dock and use ropes to float it onto your trailer than use your winch to get it up to front roller stop. If tandem trailer, bring it into the water until the step infront of your fender is under water making it easier on you to winch up.
    Now, you will have it in place correctly, and no possible issues with your TM.

4. Member
    When you're about 10' out from the trailer, lift your TM, so the motor is just barely under the water. Hold your TM at that depth with your rope. You can still steer and make adjustments. It's a timing thing as to when you completely lift your TM out of the water. We have alot of electric motor only lakes and this is how a majority of people do it

5. Member
    Thanks y'all.

Yup the outboard was not working and the distance from the boat ramp to the boat dock was a bit much for the ole' rope it on trick. I will lengthen my rope so that I can hold it just barely out of the water and try putting it on the trailer again next week.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

6. Member
    Thanks y'all.

Yup the outboard was not working and the distance from the boat ramp to the boat dock was a bit much for the ole' rope it on trick. I will lengthen my rope so that I can hold it just barely out of the water and try putting it on the trailer again next week.
    I reckon sometimes things seem to all stack up against you, and you must have been on your own trying to load. I have a long 30' line that I can hook up to the bow eye for tow or trailer load.
    Reckon the TM thing would work if you had the time to play around with it on an empty ramp, but you can still get bow steer by being upfront and shifting your weight side to side.

7. Member
    digthemup, yup I was with my 4 year old and try as he might, he can't run the boat by himself yet. Or the truck either for that matter. What is "bow steer"?

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

8. Member
    digthemup, yup I was with my 4 year old and try as he might, he can't run the boat by himself yet. Or the truck either for that matter. What is "bow steer"?
    Deadrise at bow is very sharp, so if you put all your weight on one side as the hall is moving forward, it we go toward the opposite side you are stand due to the bow acting like a rudder.
    It can also happen while at speed on some boats, which will make you pucker up so bad that you will be constipated for few days.
    Yea, I remember taking my little man out fishing, and know he is 6'3" in college hardly see him til need car work done.

9. Member
    digthemup, thanks I'll watch out for that if I'm in this situation again.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

Quote Originally Posted by MJMJ View Post
    When you're about 10' out from the trailer, lift your TM, so the motor is just barely under the water. Hold your TM at that depth with your rope. You can still steer and make adjustments. It's a timing thing as to when you completely lift your TM out of the water. We have alot of electric motor only lakes and this is how a majority of people do it
    THIS ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ works.

Been there ~ Done that.