Plywood In Boat Question

I just bought an additional boat to use on ponds, small rivers, etc. where I don't want to or can't take my big boat. It's a little 14' flat bottom that I bought at Cabela's. I bought some decent seats for it and now I'm going to make a carpeted floor for it.

My question is regarding the plywood for the floor. I am just going to use regular plywood that is not marine grade or treated, as I already have a full sheet. (Some have said not to use treated as it will react with the aluminum. True or not, I have no idea.) The boat will be stored indoors and likely will see little if any rain. Should I treat the wood with something or paint it prior to carpeting it? Or should I just glue the carpet right to the wood? Some said the glue will be enough protection as it won't see much water. I did this once before, years ago, but I don't remember what I did.

2. Member
    Coat it with epoxy resin. Pre drill your screw holes and oversize them before epoxy so when you screw it down water can’t ever get into the wood

3. Member
    Yes. You should coat it, either with epoxy or about four coats of spar varnish. This will make it last a lot longer.

4. Member
    I like to cover the wood with cloth as well, 6 oz can be found at most stores. I also router the edges with a 1/2' round over bit, the glas will go over it easier.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    I'd save the weight and leave the floor bare.

6. Member
    You can use some exterior (cheap) or marine grade (much better) plywood from the big box store. Should be coated with paint, varnish ext. Or go with very expensive rated marine grade occume plywood which is guarenteed for 10 years, even if uncoated.
    Do a search for boatbuilding lumber and plywood for more information.
    dvl2700

7. Member
    Ditto on epoxy resin.
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

8. Member
    OLD-TIMER S FORMULA
    One part Boiled Linseed Oil,
    One part Spar Varnish or Spar Urethane.
    Two parts Mineral Spirts.

9. Member
    What about something like Advantech?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    What about something like Advantech?
    If this is just an aluminum boat that nobody cares about, then whatever you throw in the bottom won't matter. Advantech is great for building but is heavy and I have never seen it in a boat. To do it "right", get a sheet of good plywood (to minimize voids) and use some System Three or other two part epoxy. It will last forever.

again, if just a farm boat, then it doesn't matter. Years ago, I bought an old green "Arrowglass tarpon special" little ugly green fishing boat. Floor was soft and so was the transom. Paid $150 for boat and crappy trailer. I cut some treated 3/4" ply to fit the bottom and popped a couple screws in it wherever they would hold. Had a piece of stainless bent and slid it down over the transom. thru bolted and hung a 35 Evinrude on it. Fished out of it for 5 years, yanked the motor, and sold it again for $150. Caught more fish from that little boat than any of the others. Now, when I redid my Shadow, I did it right from front to back. Hydrotec marine plywood, system three silver tip epoxy, etc.

It's all your call...it's about longevity and pride and whether or not you care. Id din't on my little green boat, did on my Shadow. Still miss that little green boat! lol
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Since this is about plywood, is ACX a good choice?
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran