Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two shops have refused to replace a detwiler seal kit.

Hi. Just bought a 2003 Stratos 200 Pro XL with an 8" detwiler hydraulic JP. The only issue was that the seal had blown on the jack plate. Prior owner is a friend, and gave me the seal kit and instructions. Two shops have refused to take on the job of replacing the seal kit, saying they can't guarantee the work. But strangely both shops were evasive about giving a detailed explanation. I had to pry what little I got out of them. Is there any reason folks here would know of that this would be a risky job? Thanks.

2. Member
    Some places do not like the install parts provided by the customer. Also probably does not help that Detwiler is going out of business.
    1999 ChampioN 202
    2018 Pro XS 250
    Murray State Fishing

3. Member
    I had 3 shops turn down installing a hydro plate on my boat because I didn't buy the boat or plate from them. All I wanted was them to swap the plate and I was going to do the wiring. They all did the same thing you said, kind of jacked around without giving a real answer until I flat asked if they were telling me no.

4. Member
    Find a better shop.

5. Member
    If you can't find a shop that will guarantee it, maybe ask the one you like the best if they'll do it without a guarantee.

6. Member
    It’s a simple do it urself job.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James john View Post
    It’s a simple do it urself job.
    Yeah, maybe, but will he guarantee it?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    Hi. Just bought a 2003 Stratos 200 Pro XL with an 8" detwiler hydraulic JP. The only issue was that the seal had blown on the jack plate. Prior owner is a friend, and gave me the seal kit and instructions. Two shops have refused to take on the job of replacing the seal kit, saying they can't guarantee the work. But strangely both shops were evasive about giving a detailed explanation. I had to pry what little I got out of them. Is there any reason folks here would know of that this would be a risky job? Thanks.
    From a shop owner's viewpoint: This probably has a lot more to do with Insurance and the Liability of "repairing" jackplates, than it does the actual difficulty of the work.

Not necessarily a case of it not being repairable- just that they are choosing not to take on the responsibility or potential liability. Most shops will not "repair" a jackplate other than replacing complete parts or assemblies that are directly provided by the Plate Manufacturer (thus the plate manufacturer is mostly responsible).

You may have better luck carrying it to a hydraulic shop (along with the seals).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Yeah, maybe, but will he guarantee it?

1. Parts sales profits are a big part of the gross profit and are required to make ends meet for a business to survive
    2. Shops do not want customers to get to a habit providing there own parts or a reputation of doing so
    3. Who is to blame when something goes wrong, very important in high liability risk jobs
    4. Do you take food to restaurant and ask them to prepare it for you.....Tacky to say the least
    In very rare cases do I allow this in our shop, I will however give them the reasons as listed above. Just like a customer will test a shop that they be interested in doing business with, I test customers as to do I want them as customer. I have no problem with telling them honestly why we have policy's that we follow and if we screw up we will not hide it from them and it will made right to them. I find this is refreshing to many consumers as it is somewhat out of the norm. I also quote high so the final bill will lower than they expected. Will not negotiate prices or price match.
    Just a few very blunt facts that most will not talk about

Now some food for thought:
    A good smog inspector in our shop can produce about 220.00 per hour in inspections (all labor)
    Hourly labor rate for repairs is 125.00 per hour due to competition in the area
    Generally speaking for every 100.00 in labor there will be 125.00 in parts

For those of you that think flat rate can be beat by 150 to 200 % you are wrong , only a few of the very best can beat flat rate consistently and by much lower percentages if they have done the job correctly. 53 years in business and I have yet to meet the person that can beat factory flat rate times for warranty work consistently
    125.00 labor plus 62.50 profit in parts at the best but not likely = 187.50 in gross profit vs 220.00
    The much higher paid repair technician with extensive training and large investment in tools cannot make a profit without parts sales to go with the labor charge

The bottom line is it is all about good business decisions to stay in business

Last edited by lpugh; 02-14-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    The parts markup has been around for a hundred years, but it does have a basis in fact. Among other things:
    1. Customers parts might not be the right ones
    2. The provided parts might be of inferior quality
    3. A business needs to order parts from a distibutor in adequate quantities to maintain a supplier/user relationship
    4. Parts mark up is factored into the cost of doing business

Eat the additional cost or do it yourself.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    4. Do you take food to restaurant and ask them to prepare it for you.....Tacky to say the least
    ... Dan

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll add a #5 (that was pointed out to us by our insurance carrier):

#5: Most dealer's insurance coverage for Shop Work (some call it "garagekeeper's" in the auto industry) is based upon Sales Volume (total receipts). So- if John Doe is having his Flux Capacitor Replaced, at 2 Hours Labor ($125 x 2= $250) and $180 in parts, that's premiums based upon $430 in receipts.

If John Doe brought in his own Flux Capacitor that he found on his favorite discount site "bubbaron.com", and the dealer installs it, the insurance company still has the same liability exposure, but now for premiums based only on $250 labor.

Hence many dealers (at instruction of insurance company) do not install Customer Supplied Parts.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    A few data points here: I spent a lot of money at that shop. I don't even want to say how much, cuz it's embarrassing. I was loyal to them in working through a problem that turned out to be their mistake. So I'm a very good customer by any reasonable measure. I brought the seal kit simply because it was given to me with the boat. I actually did suggest they buy their own seal kit if that made them feel better.

As for doing it myself, I don't have an engine hoist, nor would I trust myself. I've been told to do this job, the motor has to come off, as the pump is inside the plate.

I worked for a hyd manufacturer years ago. Take it apart and take pictures so you know how it goes back. Lube your seals with 1/2 oil and 1/2 STP and reinstall everything

Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Find a better shop.

Same reason we don't install customer supplied solar parts....we can't guarantee work and it may screw up our stuff. Its a liability deal. Just do it yourself....

17. Member
    It will just leak again, even if they replace the seals.
    get a better jackplate. I know, I have fought a leaking detwiler upper seal for years.

Yep. No money to be made and taking on extra risk is not a good business decision. That being said I try to stick with one good dealer in case I have to ask a favor one day. Hard to find a good dealer in todays' world.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    So I'm a very good customer by any reasonable measure.
    We all fell your pain... But if the jack plate fails and God forbid you're seriously injured or killed will your wife and her lawyer take that into consideration before they file the lawsuit against the jack plate manufacturer and the shop???... They've got loved ones also... Dan

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    It will just leak again, even if they replace the seals.
    get a better jackplate. I know, I have fought a leaking detwiler upper seal for years.
    Maybe you should just do a better job on your repairs. Detwiler makes awesome plates. Replacing that seal is a pretty painless process.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast