Water temp fluctuations

I’m having issues with my 2016 300 Verado. I picked it up last fall when the lake water temps were 75+. I had no fluctuations in temps. It would run up to 165 or so then go back down to the 140s and sty there. Now that water temps in the 50s the gauge is all over the place. Runs up to 175 then back down to 140s. Is this normal for winter time running? And can I run it like this?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I’ll try to add as much info as I can

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial Number is the only Required item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Common issue with those Verados. Not sure why it happens and I doubt there is a fix. Gotta be something with the way the water flows through it and the inability of the thermostat to make quick enough adjustments. Double check the thermostat and poppet to make sure they are clean and if so, run it.
    Last edited by bloodman; 02-04-2020 at 08:00 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I had one of the very first Verado's back in 2005... this was normal operation even back then.

One nice thing is the ability to disassemble the thermostat and clean it (easily).