Insurance rate increase

Yesterday my lower unit burned out on me, I’m just curious what kind of rate increase I should expect when I make my claim.

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, unless you have special insurance for that, it might not be covered unless you hit something.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    Mine has gone up every year since 2017 and I've never filed a claim!
    I guess it's that time again to start calling around. Sucks.
    Looking for a new boat!
    FishOn

4. Fishing is a Passion
    Unless the lower unit had an impact that damaged the housing or bent the shaft. There would be no coverage for mechanical failure
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcawthon View Post
    Yesterday my lower unit burned out on me, I’m just curious what kind of rate increase I should expect when I make my claim.

If you have Progressive Insurance good LUCK ��

just got my bill for 2020 up 34 % and never had a claim , already started shopping around

2009 ELITE 210

7. Member
    I just got my renewal from Geico Marine and my premium went up 21 percent as well and zero claims. Starting to shop around now also.
    2004 Triton TR-186DC - Mercury 175 Optimax

I’ve had mine with Bob for the past 5 years or so, thru American Modern. Went up a little last year them made a good jump this year. He’s shopping around for better rates now, but haven’t heard back from him.

9. Member
    Could never understand how as your boat ages and decreases in value (meaning the payout would be less) yet your rates go up every yr. How so?

I've had my policy setup with an agreed value for the past 10 years. This at least gives you some coverage for updated electronics, etc. Anything attached to the boat. And for all the rods/reels and tackle that the standard $5K won't cover.

I have progressive and had one replaced a few years ago and it was a very easy process and insurance did not go up but it was my only claim ever for over 7 years.

12. Member
    What is going on with boat insurance?! I have American Modern and paid $292 for the year last year. This year's premium is coming in at $535 with no changes to the policy and no claims in either the boating or auto world. My agent can't find anything cheaper them so I have been searching online and managed to find a policy for $430 but I'm not sure about the company's reputation. It's called SkiSafe. Any thought on them? Or why in the hell rates are going up so much so fast?