Alt Serial number location 2015 150HP 4-stroke I have searched board

I have searched these forums, Google and the actual motor for literally hours.
    Where is the alternate Serial number location for a 2015 Merc 150HP 4-stroke? Please don't simply write," it's on the Freeze plug or the welch plug without telling what exact location of this seemingly phantom part for THIS motor.

I have asked 3 marine mechanics and several seasoned bass boaters and no one could say where an alternate location of the serial number was located.

The serial number sticker has peeled from the normal location on the motor. We need to show that the motor in question has not been stolen or swapped out from what old paperwork has. I know what the serial number should be, but just can't prove it.

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim- this can be quite difficult. In the simplest of situations- the selling dealer (or a servicing dealer) that knows the history of the boat/engine and can certify a good reason for why the decal is gone can usually work with Mercury Marine (directly) to get a replacement decal. Note that the "reason" is going to have to be a valid one (example: Replaced the swivel bracket and the decal was affixed to the old one so we need a new one... or perhaps "the sticker blew off while pressure washing the engine - here is a picture of the remains of the sticker", etc).

There are no "welch plug" serial numbers on later engines (though some may have a secondary vinyl decal with the model and serial number affixed to the block).

Have you already purchased this engine (saw you were looking a while back).

Note: There is a dedicated 4-stroke forum a couple more down the list.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

No, did not purchase the boat with that motor. I probably won't unless I can confirm it is the original motor matched with that boat. Everyone says the serial number should be somewhere else on the Motor, but none of them can tell me where to look. I think I took pictures of every visible number and data plate under the cowl, but nothing matches the paperwork. With GA being a No-Title state, it can be sold here, but wouldn't be able to move in the Title states.

4. Member
    have you tried merc consumer phone number
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm not a lawyer... but after a brief Google Search on the topic, You might also think about continuing your search if you take a quick look at the following GA Statute:

(a) A person commits the offense of criminal use of an article with an altered identification mark when he or she buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his or her possession a radio, piano, phonograph, sewing machine, washing machine, typewriter, adding machine, comptometer, bicycle, firearm, safe, vacuum cleaner, dictaphone, watch, watch movement, watch case, or any other mechanical or electrical device, appliance, contrivance, material, vessel as defined in Code Section 52-7-3 , or other piece of apparatus or equipment, other than a motor vehicle as defined in Code Section 40-1-1 , from which he or she knows the manufacturer's name plate, serial number, or any other distinguishing number or identification mark has been removed for the purpose of concealing or destroying the identity of such article.

(b) A person convicted of the offense of criminal use of an article with an altered identification mark shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years.

(c) This Code section does not apply to those cases or instances where any of the changes or alterations enumerated in subsection (a) of this Code section have been customarily made or done as an established practice in the ordinary and regular conduct of business by the original manufacturer or by his duly appointed direct representative or under specific authorization from the original manufacturer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    FWIW, the serial number on my Optimax is also printed on the ECU. Can't hurt to look there if you haven't already....
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    The sticker on my '05 Optimax was missing when I bought it used. The folks at Mercury indicated that this is a common issue. Seemed odd to me at the time I purchased it as well.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

8. Member
    Does the serial number show up when hooked to the Mercury diagnostic equipment?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Depends on the PCM model. The later V6/V8 models do indeed have the Serial Number recorded in the PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Just a follow up. I did call Merc customer service. They said for that motor there were no other alternate locations for the serial no., but they did confirm the above quote that a Merc Service center could display it on their computer. They also said that the serial no. label coming off wasn't an uncommon occurrence. Once verified by a Authorized Merc service center, it could file for a replacement serial number for the owner.
    I spoke with the seller and he did that exact procedure and has received an new serial number label from Mercury.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar