Newer(2016+) SHO 250's with relion batteries

Hello everyone Im sure there has been posts on this before but was just wondering if anyone out there with a newer yamy (post 2016) sho vmax 250 that are running relion lithium batteries. The RB-100 HP. Do you have any problems ? pros/Cons? Does anyone know the max Woot voltage of this motor puts out? i know its 50 amps but gotta know the volts. Im installing the RB-100Hp in my 2019 Skeeter FX 20 . I already have 3 of their RB-100's for the TM and they are freaking awsome! so I bought 2 RB-100HP for the 12v system, 200AH total and was just wondering if theres any problems with this yamaha motor. I know there was problems with yam sho 250 from 2014. but i think they changed something i think around 2015 with the voltage regulator Im guessing? anyways any info would be great thanks!

2. Member
    The output of the SHO is nominally 14.6 volts. The current output is a function of several variables.

From what I have read lithium batteries are input voltage sensitive. Such that a BMS (Battery Management System) or PCM (Protection Circuit Module) is required to limit the input voltage to the battery.

If Relion indicates their battery is a plug and play replacement for a lead acid battery then I doubt the motor will know, nor care to know, to what battery it is providing power to or receiving power from.

zrel.jpg

just make sure that can be used for cracking batteries. I had to take a Smart Battery 100 AH off my 2019 SHO. When the battery would get fully charged my SHO would cut off like you pulled the kill switch it would start right back with the switch and run a little way and cut off again. I think Relion makes a cranking battery. I ended up putting in a fifth battery AGM for cranking and lift my electronic on the Smart Battery

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    just make sure that can be used for cracking batteries. I had to take a Smart Battery 100 AH off my 2019 SHO. When the battery would get fully charged my SHO would cut off like you pulled the kill switch it would start right back with the switch and run a little way and cut off again. I think Relion makes a cranking battery. I ended up putting in a fifth battery AGM for cranking and lift my electronic on the Smart Battery
    Do you think that was a result of the BMS/PCM disconnecting the battery from the motor when the voltage got too high? The SHO won't run without a battery being connected.

I need to read up and better understand what is going on with the lithum battery variants.

5. Member
    For whatever it is worth here is some Yamaha verbiage. While they specifically mention Lithium-ion batteries I suspect they mean any type of Lithium battery.
    zlit.jpg

6. Member
    It s funny that a lot of guys run lithium batteries with the Sho motors and never have a problem and a few do . My Sho gave me problem two years ago as it would just shut down after the rpms got over 4600 it shut down like you pulled the kill switch . It always start right back up . This was with an 31 AGM . All it was was a wire connection that was tight ,but not tight enough . Litterly I tighten the connection from the battery to the motor less than a quart turn and it has never given me a shut down in 125 hrs or more sense then . The connection have to be very tight for good electrical flow it only takes one milla volt in change of the electrical currant and it shuts the motor down . Very sensitive.

7. Member
    I have relion's cranking batteries Thats good for 800 cold crank. Even tho SHO's say they are regulated at 14.6 volts output they must go higher then that. relion batteries disconnect at 15.4 volts. I guess Ill have to keep you all posted. Maybe by me putting 2 together in parallel will offsett a volt spike.

8. Member
    I think you’ll be fine. I’ve heard both stories as well regarding the tightening of the negative which came from Yamaha. Also mentioned somewhere on here that the newer SHO voltage regulators were changed. My guess is you’ll be fine, but I would pull the cowling and check the negative lead as skennedy noted as his problem. I think it was Roy at Wacky Riggers who mentioned that to me.....easy to check. Plus see my results in the other thread about my voltages at different speeds on my 2015 225 SHO.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

9. Member
    Just wanted to get back to you guys now that i have had a chance to get out on the water with these batteries. I have two RB-100-HP in parallel on a 2018 yamaha sho. they work great! no problems at all. ive been out in some cold weather too and no problems starting. 6000 rpm and no signs of shut downs. whatever problem people were having with these batteries was either fixed with relion or yamaha fixed something in 2015-2016 area. Its awsome having a lead acid equivalent of 400 amp hours. I run 3 humminbird 12" a 10" and a 10" garmin graphs all day and doesnt even come close to being dead! For the price of one lithiumpro battery you can have 2 of these and have more power then you know what to do with haha. my two cents. Tight lines!

10. Member
    2020 Yamaha SHO RB-100HP not problems thus far! Brad Green at Relion great help!