Looking to buy a 2012 Z-8 with '12 225 pro xs

I am looking to get into my first glass boat. I am coming out of a '99 tracker so Im sure I will be impressed with everything about a much bigger glass boat.
    Im looking for some advise on what are some weak points to really inspect on this boat. To be sure its "the one".
    Motor has 249 hrs, lowrance hds 12s on bow and console 112 fortrex manual jackplate.
    I have to travel about 10 hours to look at and test drive so I would like all the potential problem areas to look for.

Thank you for any help you can give

my 2015 has nothing that could be a potential problem. more likely if someone thinks they are an electrician they can really make a mess of wires in the bilge, but other than that the rest seems solid. i would check torque on the motors/jackplate and look at the fiberglass right there to see that it hasnt been run hard while loose, check all switches for proper function, open all doors and look at condition of carpet inside and lid assist work. run the boat to check mercury/ have a shop thats local take a look at compression ectera.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Thanks for the advise. Im getting excited to go check it out and run it.

I suppose I have a couple more areas to look at just for price of mind.

1 make sure fenders are snug
    2 at this point I am mechanically competent in suspensions/wheel bearings and I would stick a jack on the equalizer to lift both tires at the same time- grab and wiggle each wheel looking for excessive play, this means a guy should open the hub tighten the bearing and re grease/ then step on each wheel in a quick pop to see if the suspension is smooth or herky jerky. If jerky it may be worn components that are a meesly 300$ to replace but good to know before a purchase
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Verify engine and maintenance.
    Check hull for cracks in gelcoat.
    Check boat trailer condition. (corrosion/rust, cracks, bunks)
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Thanks guys
    Really appreciate the help

Have a compression test completed by independent marine mechanic (unless you are equipped to perform yourself).
    Check the cable on the Fortrex. Mine failed twice and stripped the spindle 4 times. Fortex is a beast when working properly. Be sure cable ends are not fraid, no slop in foot peddle movement.
    inspect the hull for obvious damage from under water structure.
    Inspect top cap for stress cracks.
    Check for moisture in rod lockers, be sure cap screws behind rub rail are tight and not stripped.

The Z8 is a beast of a boat. You will not be disappointed if all checks go well. I ran mine for 5 seasons and loved every minute of ownership.

8. Member
    Well it turns out this boat sold before I could make the trip. So Im still on the hunt.

Thanks guys for all the tips I will keep them all in mind in all my searches

9. Member
    I have my 2012 Z8 250 PRO XS for sale in Louisiana 171 hrs on motor, dual console, fiberglass fenders 112 fourtrex, new lower unit installed November 2019 $30,000 email sblnchrd@yahoo.com