Thread: Skipping docks

Skipping docks

What is the best setup for skipping docks, baitcaster or spinning reel and why ,

2. Member
    Much of that is personal preference. For jigs and t-rigs I use a baitcaster. For weightless baits and tubes I use a spinning rod. Why... it's what I'm used to. But I feel that a baitcast rod has more control and power with heavier baits like a jig. As much as I'd like to skip a senko or general under a dock with a baitcaster, I'm just not able to do it better with a baitcaster than I am with a spinning rod. Line type and diameter is also a strong consideration. I skip jigs with 17 to 20lb Fluorocarbon and that's simply impossible to do with a spinning reel.

3. Member
    I think they each have their place in skipping docks. I like skipping senko's on spinning gear and t-rigs,jigs on casting gear. You want a rod with a soft tip that allows you to load the bait. Lots of video out there on this technique. But for me it mostly depends on the bait I'm throwing.

4. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Daiwa Tatula SV TWS Bait casting 8.1 gear ratio reel.Dobyns Champion XP Split Cast Rod 6'8" Med Hvy 683

I go with a little shorter rod because I’m not very tall. It gives me much better accuracy and control. Has plenty of backbone to do the job. The Daiwa SV spool is the best skipping set up I have ever used. It made me better right out of the box.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

5. Member
    I have the Daiwa Tatula SV TWS as well and it's a really good reel for skipping baits. However, my skipping got much better when I got a Curado DC. The digital cast control is phenomenal with preventing backlashes when you're trying to skip baits. I would also agree that a shorter rod is usually best since you're going for accuracy and not distance. I only use baitcasters for skipping, but that's just because I've never gotten good at it with a spinning setup. I would add that water clarity can also come into play since you're generally not using 6 or 8 pound test lines with a baitcaster and sometimes that is necessary because of clear water and spooky fish.

6. Member
    Another technique from ancient times, was to take a 5.5-6ft pistol grip rod with a decent spincast reel and draw it back like a bow. Then let go of the bait and the button on the spincast reel and shoot it under whatever cover you were working. I first saw it on a fishing pro way back in the early 80's. Got further under cover (as far as distance) than any of the modern techniques I see now.

I skip docks 80% of the time. I’ve used both casting and spinning but I prefer casting. Mainly because I can do it faster with the casting reel.

8. Member
    Whatever equipment and technique you decide on, please respect the dock owners property. Banging lures off boats, hooks broke off, etc., leaves a bad look for everyone fishing behind you. That being said, an old school pistol grip rod makes roll casting easier. Spinning setups allow easy dock shooting. Several youtube videos out there to help you out. Exciting way to fish! Good luck!

9. Member
    What are you trying to skip? 1/2oz jig? 1/8oz crappie jig?

10. BBC SPONSOR
    You guys my think I'm crazy, but my nephew skips docks with a zebco bullet. I'm not much on spincasters, but that is one I would own just for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    What are you trying to skip? 1/2oz jig? 1/8oz crappie jig?
    This.

Past that, it’s probably easier to skip docks with a spinning rod, but I don’t think nearly as efficient. I’m not the best at skipping with a baitcaster but I’m getting better.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    Alot depends on your height and arm length. If your 5'9" tall you dont wanna skip with a 7'6" rod it will be much more difficult. Im about 5'11" and i like a 6'10" or no longer than 7ft.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9