Copper spinnerbait blades

Ok I’m getting into changing the blades out on some SB because some of the guys that do really good on our lakes use copper and orange blades. When do the copper blade excel over gold? I’ve caught decent fish with gold and silver blades but just seems they turn out more quality bites early year.

2. Member
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

3. Member
    I always thought the copper blades were used in tannic colored water.

4. Banned
    Love copper blades!

5. Moderator
    Interesting. Will be following this thread.

I like copper blades on an overcast day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Copper is a good choice when you don't want as much flash as the gold or silver ones.

8. Scraps
    Just use them in place of gold. It's just a way of using something different.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Around here that color combination is used in muddy water. Copper or gold with the orange. Was a kick ass bait down on the river many moons ago. The copper and gold just makes less flash than the silver blades, that's all. I always throw either copper or gold except in cold very clear water, then I burn the silver blades. Get a lot of reaction bites with the flash. August I like just white. I wouldn't get into the color thing very much,, its more how you work the bait. Too many just throw and wind with it. Just remember all the SB is ,, is a jig with a fish attractor attached to it.

I've fished copper blades quite a lot. To be honest I'm not sure the fish care one way or the other - I've really only ever noticed a difference in bites when going from metallic to painted blades or vice versa - but my line of thinking when using copper has been that it's more in line with the colors on a bluegill. Most every lake I fish is full of bass that eat almost nothing else.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Don't throw copper. Just don't do it. And don't look at my name. Thanks.
    WashCo Tournament Series

Hmm looks like your a bass fisherman lol