Thread: Mercury Noobie

Mercury Noobie

Just bought a new boat with my first ever Mercury, Pro XS 150, SN:2B607562. I ran Icon Pro gauges on my last Evinrude which I basically stole (bought 3 gauges 2 tachs and 1 speedo and sold the 1 tach for what I paid for all three.) What is the least expensive gauge I can purchase for reliable RPM info and things like engine hours and fuel consumption. I found some that were upwards of $700 for one gauge, hopefully I looked at the wrong one because that is high. Thanks for looking.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

2. Member
    The least expensive would be the Vessel View Mobile unit. It plugs into your engine wiring harness and works on Bluetooth with your phone.

I use one on my 115hp 4 stroke for the things you mentioned and it’s worked fine for me. If you want to constantly display info when you’re running it may not be for you but it is a cheap alternative to the dash mounted smartcraft and Vessel View gauges.

3. Member
    I am in the middle of this as well, converting an analog non-mercury setup to the digital SC gauges. I started with the Vessel View Mobile like lowrider mentioned. It's a good unit and I will still leave mine hooked up. To have actual gauges, the least expensive path is an older "System Monitor" gauge. It's a simple lcd gauge that you have to toggle through to display the various functions. Next would be a Smartcraft Tach. You can add a SC speedometer unit which will also expand the displayed info in its lower window. I lucked out and found a guy on craigslist selling both latest software versions for $120 (each). Merc then has their latest $$$ monitor gauges as well like that are flashy and colorful. Next you start getting into the Vessel View units (screened units) that are NMEA compatible and look like (and cost) like something from NASA . Getting the gauges is only part of the setup. You need to have the specific harness(es) and junction box to connect it all. Fleabay is an excellent source for the harnesses and junction boxes. Gauges as well, but my advice, if the gauge isn't new, make sure you can return it. When it comes to used gauges with the LCD components you need to be very careful. Many old LCD windows get cooked by being left out in the sun and fade out or segments burn out. There are LCD rebuild services available but that's more money. The very inexpensive gauge won't be inexpensive. Lots of New Old Stock items can be found. Keep an eye out there and talk to your local marinas for people repowering and upgrading.
    Last edited by moymurfs; 02-02-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

4. Member
    If you are running Garmin or Lowrance electronics, the Vessel View Link is in the $600-$700 range and will turn your multi-function display into a sweet dashboard.
    For about the same $$, you can get the SC-1000 System Tach and Speedo, it compares pretty close to the Icon Gauges.
    Another alternative would be the SC-1000 System Tach with other System Link Gauges connected, but guessing that is about the same $$ as the SC-1000 Pair.
    Lastly is the Merc Monitor -- which is an LCD display, and also can drive System Link Gauges...

I personally run the SC-1000 System tach and Speedo, with two system link gauges (Oil Pressure and Coolant Temp) attached.
    When cruising, I select the Trim + Water Pressure screen on the Tach and Fuel Economy/Voltage on the Speedo. This combo gives me the following at a glance:
    RPM
    Speed over Ground
    Water Pressure
    Engine Coolant Temp
    Trim
    Oil Pressure
    Battery Voltage
    Fuel Economy

Of course, you can scroll through the screens and see lots of other stuff too.

My suggestion is sit down and look at what info you want available, and how much of it you want available at a glance while running, vs what are you willing to scroll/look through to see.
    Once you figure that out, it can narrow down your scope a bit and zero you in on it.

Lastly, Don (moderator) is a great resource and is a full line Merc dealer, and gives BBC members a little discount, so if you decide to purchase, he likely has the best pricing.

If you have any questions about the SC-1000's, yell, I have a lot of experience in real world with them .. and wouldn't be without them...BTW.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agree- Vessel View Mobile is the "least expensive".

See Rhonda's post (pinned at the Top of the Forum)- if you drop her an email, she can send you a list of all the various options (and special BBC member pricing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I do not understand why an hour meter is not standard equipment on all outboards.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I do not understand why an hour meter is not standard equipment on all outboards.
    It is. From the first firing of the engine- the PCM is recording the engine hours and RPM ranges.

Lack of an instrument to SEE the data the PCM offers is the fault of whomever rigged the boat (or more accurately, whomever spec'ed the rigging materials).

I've always looked at this as: A big chunk of the engine's price is the Smartcraft-Equipped PCM that's bolted to the engine. If there is no Smartcraft Instrument, the PCM has limited means of communicating (it must resort to rudimentary measures such as screaming, limiting engine power or performance, and sending smoke signals).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It is. From the first firing of the engine- the PCM is recording the engine hours and RPM ranges.

Lack of an instrument to SEE the data the PCM offers is the fault of whomever rigged the boat (or more accurately, whomever spec'ed the rigging materials).

I've always looked at this as: A big chunk of the engine's price is the Smartcraft-Equipped PCM that's bolted to the engine. If there is no Smartcraft Instrument, the PCM has limited means of communicating (it must resort to rudimentary measures such as screaming, limiting engine power or performance, and sending smoke signals).
    I'm trying to avoid the smoke signals....
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I'm trying to avoid the smoke signals....
    Have you reviewed any options, or made a decision on your rigging?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

If you want something that has some good capabilities and ability to expand, you really are going to need to spend $700 or so whether it is the Vessel View Link, SC Speedo/Tach or a Mercmonitor. Having the ability to see exact engine data, and read most alarms makes it all worthwhile. It can save trips to the mechanic at a minimum and save the engine from blowing up at the other end of the spectrum.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Have you reviewed any options, or made a decision on your rigging?
    probably gonna go vessel view mobile unless I can find a screaming deal on SC gauges.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

Vessel view link is by far the best choice, full display in front of your to easly. MObile and gauges are impossible to read running flat out and dangerous to attempt to do so
    Thank You Leon Pugh