Thread: Tilt/Trim

Tilt/Trim

I have a 2008 Triton TR186 with a Mercury 150 2 stroke. The tilt/trim switch at the bow want working last time I went out. This morning before hooking uo the trailer I discovered the tilt/trim switch at the helm (throttle) isn't working now either. The switch on the outboard works still. Also, the gauge is not working now either.

Since the pump still works it is obviously wiring o a relay. Where is the relay located? Where should I start testing?

If the cowl switch still works, the relays are OK.

The trim gauge does not work unless the key is on. Try it again with the key on to be sure.

There are two wiring harnesses in play here, the boat harness and the motor harness. Both are connected to the starting battery. The bow trim switch gets it’s +12 volt signal from the boat harness but the ground circuit is on the motor harness.

There is a blue(up) wire and a green (down) wire coming from the bow switch that connects with the trim wires in the shifter to power the trim circuit but they are not shown on the picture below.

This picture should be representative of your trim circuit but I can’t be sure it is the correct year.

If the connector I marked with the “?” Mark is disconnected, it will cause the problems you describe, even with the key on and there is power on the bow switch. However, I find it unlikely that this could happen so you need to go over the symptoms again to be sure they are accurate.

That’s about as much as I can provide, without testing circuits. Hopefully the wiring diagram will give you enough info to trouble shoot the circuit.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    If the motor switch is still working, it's not the relays. The relays are the last place that gets the electricity before the motor and usually go bad one at a time, meaning if was a relay, either up or down should still work at all the trim stations. The wires coming from the console and the front connect to the switch wires under the cowl with bullet connections. I would check those connections.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Awesome! Thank you Jones & Bill. Ia ging to trailer it to my brother's shop tomorrow to fix the tilt/trim, finally install my LEDs and clean it. Hopefully I at least get the tilt trim working. I really appreciate the help.

5. Member
    I believe the power to the BOAT comes in on a red wire, which also goes to the throttle and bow. Since the bow switch was not working it was probably bad. A bad switch can do many things, it could open and not work and/or short out and send power when and where you don't want it. Sometimes switches get water inside and eventually generate electrolysis which shorts them out too. This can blow a fuse or burn up motors, fuses or the actual wiring.