Thread: Prop to pad?

Prop to pad?

Just added a 6 " Zlock to my 1980 150 proxs. What is a good measurement to start at? Prop to pad..
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

2. Member
    Dartman, I have a avx 1980 with a 150 pro xs. I just got my boat on January 9th and have not been on the water yet, so I’m not sure what speed it will run, but it has a 6 inch slidemaster plate on it and I can measure it and tell you what the factory sets them at. I’m wondering about the performance of this rig, some people say they are to underpowered to run a jack plate, you read of some running slower and some getting 59 to 60 mph out of the same set up, I don’t consider a 150 underpowered for the 1980, I believe if guys running so many different numbers it has to be set up and the prop it’s self.

3. Member
    My jackplate was way way low from dealer. like 2 inches low. I was barely getting 50s with it that way. I adjusted and ran it then realized I needed to go up more, so I increased more and I measured the top of my backplate and its 2.5 inches high (cause I marked it). not sure what prop to pad is however forgot to measure there is a thread on here about this. I have the Merc 150 4stroke. long story short it is prob not right lol

My question is what RPM should we be shooting for WOT on plane? I'm sitting around 5700-5800
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99

4. Member
    most all the engine makers are around 5500-6000 rpm
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    Panoptix Livescope System
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterAg99 View Post
    My jackplate was way way low from dealer. like 2 inches low. I was barely getting 50s with it that way. I adjusted and ran it then realized I needed to go up more, so I increased more and I measured the top of my backplate and its 2.5 inches high (cause I marked it). not sure what prop to pad is however forgot to measure there is a thread on here about this. I have the Merc 150 4stroke. long story short it is prob not right lol

My question is what RPM should we be shooting for WOT on plane? I'm sitting around 5700-5800
    You're RPM's are fine. My 1980 with the same motor I'm 55-56 wide open most the time with just me in it. I've seen 58 once. Another man 53-54. I have a hydraulic jackplate. Bought the boat without a jack plate and it was mounted way to low.

I'd probably start with the standard 3.5 below Pad and go from there. When I set up a new plate on a boat I set it at 3.5 and mark the plate. Then I'll adjust the motor up and down in 1/4 incriments and mark the plate accordingly. I have the plate marked from 2.5 to 4.0 BTP so when I get to the water it takes the guessing game out as to where the plate is when I'm adjusting it. Let me know and I'll come over and we'll go through all the adjustments, must easier and quicker with 2 people.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO