crank position sensor for a 98 Johnson 150 ficth engine model J150ILECR?

I had to replace the flywheel cover on this engine and need to know what the setting should be on the crank position sensor.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Should be in your service manual.

I bought the boat used and didn’t get a manual, do you happen to know what the gap setting should be?

service manual setting is too wide. Set to .025-.030" at highest point in flywheel
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Trammel...this man KNOWS what he's talking about !!

Thanks , I think I found what was causing the problem to start with, when I started to change the ignition switch the black wire was not connected maybe that’s the reason the motor wouldn’t shut off when I turned the key to the off position and stayed engaged to the flywheel, anyway i will have all the parts I ordered, new starter new flywheel cover and new starter pinion assembly. Again Thanks.

checked all the wiring plugs, no broken pins in any of them, installed new ignition switch and put new ends on all the wires going to it, new selinode, new starter and pinion on mine, model # J150ILECR 98 150 Fitch, I will finish putting it all back together this weekend and hope that fixed the problem. Seahorse, Championman, anything else you can think of that might be causing this problem on these engines? I will post if the problem is fixed when I get it all put back together this weekend. Thanks

I got everything put back together, replaced all the wiring ends on the back of the ignition switch started and stopped the engine with the ignition switch 10 times and had no problems, the only thing is it will still start with the kill switch lanyard not attached, what would cause this?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is how the switch is designed. With the lanyard attached, and connected to you, should you be ejected, your partner can start the motor without the lanyard attached and come get you.

So if I have the lanyard attached with the engine running and pull the lanyard from the ignition switch it should kill the engine? And it’s working properly. I will try that tomorrow when it warms up a little. Thanks

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is correct.

You are exactly right, works like it supposed to. Problem solved, Thanks so much for your help and tips.

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Glad to hear all is well Trammel

Thanks mike, I would go and run it if I wasn’t afraid of hitting a floating log, the lake has come up 22 ft. In the last 2 weeks.

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yep, everything is blowed out right now....Guntersville was 5' high the other day.....