Thread: Coronavirus

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Coronavirus

I personally think the market is just looking for any excuse to pull back. What are your thoughts on the coronavirus and the market?

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    China has basically shut down their country, their GDP will take a big hit. Companies like Apple and Starbucks are shutting stores in China. There will be an impact on earnings. The market has to figure out what to price in, and it may take awhile.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    China has basically shut down their country, their GDP will take a big hit. Companies like Apple and Starbucks are shutting stores in China. There will be an impact on earnings. The market has to figure out what to price in, and it may take awhile.
    AAPL was one that I thought of. I'd probably be selling before next earnings, but that's just me. I didn't really think it'd be as high as it is now this soon either, but it's not one that I own anymore.

4. Member
    Apple expects 10 percent drop in Iphone shipments due to virus. It will have an effect bit I trimmed some already and holding the rest for the long term. Too tough to time it as the market gets information way faster than i do

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Apple expects 10 percent drop in Iphone shipments due to virus. It will have an effect bit I trimmed some already and holding the rest for the long term. Too tough to time it as the market gets information way faster than i do
    I'd say a smart move. I'd do the same as you in that situation

6. Member
    Anyone think that companies exposed to China are going to get a free pass on second quarter earnings? I was thinking we would get a pullback due to corona virus but now I’m not sure it will if people view it as temporary.

7. Member
    I think it'll kind of split. There will be a sell off on those earnings for the most part, but it won't be as bad as it normally would be due to some people being fine with those due to the virus.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If people sell good companies enough to hit the stock price significantly because of the virus hit on their earnings, that’s a buying opportunity to me.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If people sell good companies enough to hit the stock price significantly because of the virus hit on their earnings, that’s a buying opportunity to me.
    That is sort oof what I'm hoping for.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Oh yeah, for sure

11. Member
    Market is jittery and stocks overpriced. I think Goldman Sachs prediction of a correction is reasonable. Not sure it will be limited to 10%.

12. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    A month later and I can't believe the market is still this high. It's like the market is pricing in the rebound already even though we don't know how bad this is going to get.
    Thanos was the hero

13. Member
    A month later and I can't believe the market is still this high. It's like the market is pricing in the rebound already even though we don't know how bad this is going to get.
    I've been waiting for a correction since this thing hit. I guess they think the economic damage will be temporary but its not like stocks aren't priced to perfection. The darn premium on puts isn't even any good compared to the calls. I would think people would be looking for protection but I guess it shows what I know

14. Member
    The markets throwing me off right now too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

15. Member
    According to the news media, money is pouring into government T Bills. I think the rates reflect that, so I guess maybe it’s true?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    The markets throwing me off right now too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    So much conflicting data. Some things show the economy is slowing in both manufacturing and service, then you have positive reports on home construction and low interest rates with no inflation. I sort of feel like we may be in uncharted waters. I just pray we don’t see negative interest rates. It seems like everyone who has gone down that road has done irreparable harm to their economy.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    So much conflicting data. Some things show the economy is slowing in both manufacturing and service, then you have positive reports on home construction and low interest rates with no inflation. I sort of feel like we may be in uncharted waters. I just pray we don’t see negative interest rates. It seems like everyone who has gone down that road has done irreparable harm to their economy.
    Yeah, I really hope we don't either, and I don't think we will any time soon. I also think that we are in uncharted waters. Its making it tough on me to trade right now.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    I personally think the market is just looking for any excuse to pull back. What are your thoughts on the coronavirus and the market?
    Hoping a couple of my bio pharmas will take off and run soon. ONTX,IBIO,ADXS,AIM,INO.

19. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Looks like the market is waking up to what could happen.

I know this may be fear mongering, but I think there is a real possibility that any day now we get a case in New York City. And once that happens, the market starts to price in a recession. Thats worse case scenario but a real possibility.

Not that I would sell anything because of it. Actually I would take full advantage of it because the V-shape recovery would be epic.
    Thanos was the hero

20. Member
    Looks like the market is waking up to what could happen.

I know this may be fear mongering, but I think there is a real possibility that any day now we get a case in New York City. And once that happens, the market starts to price in a recession. Thats worse case scenario but a real possibility.

Not that I would sell anything because of it. Actually I would take full advantage of it because the V-shape recovery would be epic.
    Yeah, I'd love that buying opportunity too

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast