Honest Opinions On Bass Pro Shops Reels

I was in BPS looking at all the reels. I have a variety of different casting reels and I think most of the big brands are all making some great stuff. I also looked at the BPS reels, and although I have not owned one, they look pretty nice and seem to feel comparable to many others. The big Spring Classic is coming up and they will be offering some great deals on their rods and reels. I would like to hear from some people that use them to find out what you like/dislike before I pull the trigger.

2. Member
    If you like Doyo reels you will like them. IMO similar to low to mid level Lews
    Last edited by kickerfish1; 01-31-2020 at 07:15 PM.

3. Banned
    I've used BPS baitcast reels off and on for around 20 years. The models I've owned, and still own are the discontinued Carbonlite CLH10's (gold colored model) and a couple of the newer Carbonlite 2.0 models. I LOVE the gold Carbonlites! Own 3, and upgraded bearings in them, and can pitch light stuff as good as any reel out there. The Carbonlite 2.0's seem to be a little more sensitive to brake adjustments, but once dialed in, they are very nice reels.I like the multiple gear ratio choices they have on the 2.0 lineup. You really can't beat them for their price, especially when on sale.

4. Member
    Lews, BPS, Abu Garcia are all made by Doyo. They’re fine. I still have some BPS Extremes that are 10 years old or more and still work. I could be wrong but it looks like the higher end BPS reels are made by Daiwa

5. Member
    I've had good luck with the 4 or so BPS baitcast reels I've purchased in the $100 - $130 range. The cheaper ones didn't last very long.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Lews, BPS, Abu Garcia are all made by Doyo. They’re fine. I still have some BPS Extremes that are 10 years old or more and still work. I could be wrong but it looks like the higher end BPS reels are made by Daiwa
    Some of the spinning reels are made by Daiwa.

7. Banned
    I have the JM Platinum Signature. That reel is just plain bad a$$. All aluminum frame and sideplates, sturdy build, and dual braking. There are some Doyo gems to be found in the multiple brands they build for.

8. Member
    Last year's Carbonlite 2.0 is the exact Lew's Tournament MB. White instead of black and was $18 less. I don't know about the other models.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    I've used BPS baitcast reels off and on for around 20 years. The models I've owned, and still own are the discontinued Carbonlite CLH10's (gold colored model) and a couple of the newer Carbonlite 2.0 models. I LOVE the gold Carbonlites! Own 3, and upgraded bearings in them, and can pitch light stuff as good as any reel out there. The Carbonlite 2.0's seem to be a little more sensitive to brake adjustments, but once dialed in, they are very nice reels.I like the multiple gear ratio choices they have on the 2.0 lineup. You really can't beat them for their price, especially when on sale.
    No experience with any of their reels other than the older gold Carbonlites. Purchased two as a package deal. Used both (on different rods) to learn to cast 3/16 oz. Shad Raps. I agree with this gentleman. Excellent reels.

Any of the Carbonlights have been good to me as well

11. Member
    Thanks guys - since I'm now retired I don't have as much "silly money" to spend on $200 - $300 rods and reels. It sounds like I can get some great reels for far less.

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've got a handful of Pro Qualifiers and even though they are a bit on the heavy side they are a fine reel especially when they go on sale.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

13. Member
    I broke my Shimano pattern and bought a ProQualifier years ago on a whim and their $60 dollar sale. I used it for three years on my frog rod and it was an incredible little reel. I maintain my own reels and never had a problem with the reel and never upgraded the bearings or drag in it. When the Chronarch MGL came out I traded it in for $50 toward the MGL, or I would still have it.

Had good luck out of the BPS rods and reels that I have used in the past.

15. Member
    $99 pro qualifier is very good for the money.

There okay, the new carbonlite spinning reel is made by Daiwa.

Other then that I would personally pass...

Pro Qualifier = aluminum framed Lews LFS. Identical aside from the frame material. You can even interchange the side plates on them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I still use PQers 10+ years now and zero issues

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Most of them are Lew’s now but different colors.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

20. Member
    Had good luck with PQ. Use it for a deep crank reel with a Crankin Stick (great rod for big cranks). Not so much luck with Carbonlite.