Question Prop eating thrust washers???

I have a SHO VMAX 25P prop B&B'd by Croxton on a 2018 SHO VMAX 250 (flashed to 300) and it is eating thrust washers. On my second washer now and the prop gap is almost down to the Lower Unit case after only 15 hours. Tempest prop I have does not do this on the same boat. Any ideas why this is happening? It did not happen at all with this prop before the B&B by Croxton.

2. Member
    Are you torquing the prop nut to the proper specifications, with a torque wrench?

3. Member
    That will occur when the prop is lose

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Are you torquing the prop nut to the proper specifications, with a torque wrench?
    Never have, but I will give that a try...Thanks!

5. Member
    had the same problem with my hpdi, I know there's an upgraded thrust bearing, look in the Yamaha section for a complete answer

Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    had the same problem with my hpdi, I know there's an upgraded thrust bearing, look in the Yamaha section for a complete answer
    The 2 piece thrust washer you speak of only fit's Yamaha brand propellers. OP issues are from a loose nut... Movement causes wear, causing more movement, causing more wear, and so on.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    The 2 piece thrust washer you speak of only fit's Yamaha brand propellers. OP issues are from a loose nut... Movement causes wear, causing more movement, causing more wear, and so on.
    Not true... there is a 2 piece thrust washer for a Mercury prop on a Yamaha SHO. It uses the same forward washer as a Yamaha prop does. The back side of that front washer is flat. The prop side washer is different and specific to each brand’s prop. The front side of that washer is concave and fits over the front washer. The prop side of that back washer is the difference. Make sure you are using the correct prop side washer with your Yamaha prop

Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    Not true... there is a 2 piece thrust washer for a Mercury prop on a Yamaha SHO. It uses the same forward washer as a Yamaha prop does. The back side of that front washer is flat. The prop side washer is different and specific to each brand’s prop. The front side of that washer is concave and fits over the front washer. The prop side of that back washer is the difference. Make sure you are using the correct prop side washer with your Yamaha prop

please provide part numbers and link to your post

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    please provide part numbers and link to your post
    0E504872-1103-42E5-AF8A-2E439435D18F.jpeg I don’t have the have the exact Mercury Flo Torque part number (because I’m at work) but these are the 2 piece thrust washers for Mercury/Yamaha when retaining the forward thrust washer

I'll wait for you get home... I'd like to see a link to the 2 piece washer for the merc.

Thank You

11. Member
    DF2D3069-3A7A-46D5-9282-E11583E5586B.jpeg
    I'll wait for you get home... I'd like to see a link to the 2 piece washer for the merc.

Thank You

12. Member

Thank You
    DE426D5E-F23C-401A-98D8-8A2EDD102781.jpeg

I knew of this kit, I did not know it had a 2 piece thrust washer.... Thank You.

14. Member
    Since the MARKSON is using a Yamaha SHO prop (rubber hub) he has to use either the Yamaha one piece thrust washer or the newer design 2-piece (not the flo-torq kit). The Yamaha manual spec says torque to 39lbs but as everyone has found out that's not enough and I think even Yamaha now recommends 50-55lbs torque on the prop nut to keep thrust washers from wearing.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Since the MARKSON is using a Yamaha SHO prop (rubber hub) he has to use either the Yamaha one piece thrust washer or the newer design 2-piece (not the flo-torq kit). The Yamaha manual spec says torque to 39lbs but as everyone has found out that's not enough and I think even Yamaha now recommends 50-55lbs torque on the prop nut to keep thrust washers from wearing.
    Yes... we were saying that when using a 2 piece thrust washer for either prop the forward is the original flat sided Yamaha and the prop washer is specific to the Mercury (flo-torq) hub and the Yamaha prop

16. Member
    Definitely correct IGThompson. Here's something else I found out, kinda off-topic, sorry, but related...Because of extreme chatter problems with flo-torq kit in my Razor4 prop, and after lots of search online, emails, with no real answers, I ordered a Rubex 203X hub kit. It's the one supposedly made specifically for SHO motor. However, when I installed it using the original forward thrust washer from Yamaha 2-piece thrust washer system and the kit-supplied 2nd piece of thrust washer as per directions, the combination pushed the prop back about 1/8" too far for the splines on the aft splined washer (before the prop nut) to grab the prop shaft splines. So, I contacted Mark who said I need the Merc 1-piece thrust washer #12-853948T to make this Rubex work. I bought it and it now fits fine. I guess my point is about being careful when messing with different manufacturers props and hub kits...I'm not sure what would have happened if I had not noticed the aft washer from the kit was not engaging the prop shaft correctly...Sorry about long-winded reply, but it's winter and i'm bored.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Definitely correct IGThompson. Here's something else I found out, kinda off-topic, sorry, but related...Because of extreme chatter problems with flo-torq kit in my Razor4 prop, and after lots of search online, emails, with no real answers, I ordered a Rubex 203X hub kit. It's the one supposedly made specifically for SHO motor. However, when I installed it using the original forward thrust washer from Yamaha 2-piece thrust washer system and the kit-supplied 2nd piece of thrust washer as per directions, the combination pushed the prop back about 1/8" too far for the splines on the aft splined washer (before the prop nut) to grab the prop shaft splines. So, I contacted Mark who said I need the Merc 1-piece thrust washer #12-853948T to make this Rubex work. I bought it and it now fits fine. I guess my point is about being careful when messing with different manufacturers props and hub kits...I'm not sure what would have happened if I had not noticed the aft washer from the kit was not engaging the prop shaft correctly...Sorry about long-winded reply, but it's winter and i'm bored.
    Good to know because I’m interested that hub kit. I hate the violent clunk on my SHO when using a Mercury prop with a Flo-Torq hub kit... I’ve noticed the same thing tho. The 1 piece thrust washer kit isn’t as thick as the 2 piece and allows the prop to be closer to the lower unit (farther up on the prop shaft) which allows for more room on the back side of the prop shaft to install hardware

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    Good to know because I’m interested that hub kit. I hate the violent clunk on my SHO when using a Mercury prop with a Flo-Torq hub kit... I’ve noticed the same thing tho. The 1 piece thrust washer kit isn’t as thick as the 2 piece and allows the prop to be closer to the lower unit (farther up on the prop shaft) which allows for more room on the back side of the prop shaft to install hardware
    I can't try mine until spring and I have had absolutely no luck trying to contact a Rubex rep, but in my opinion, if the 203X kit is not correct for SHO motor I don't see why the Rubex 203B kit can't be use,d since it's listed for all high hp Yamahas including 200-250 and also the 300hp (it just doesn't mention SHO, maybe because they think all SHO's need the 2-piece system?). Again MARKSON, sorry to get off-topic. I think as the hp and torque go up with the 225, 250 and flashed 300hp's the prop nut torque becomes way more important.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO