Dark Sleeper question

Just wondering if this is considered more of a warm water bait or if anyone's had much success using it in colder (upper 40's to low 50's) water? I know they say you can use it like a jig, but it also has a fast tail-kicking action in the underwater footage I've seen, which I wouldn't think would be ideal for cold water situations.

2. Member
    It will catch them in the 40s, Just don't have to move them very fast. They are also a killer bed bait. Swim it slowly into the spot on the bed and hardly move it. The big girls just can't stand it and will try to move it out of the bed or kill it.

3. Member
    I feel like I have done better in cold water with the Dark Sleeper for some reason. I fish it super slow though. Short drags and long pauses. However, I am not convinced there are many wrong ways to fish that bait.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I feel like I have done better in cold water with the Dark Sleeper for some reason. I fish it super slow though. Short drags and long pauses. However, I am not convinced there are many wrong ways to fish that bait.
    The bolded part for me.

I've had luck in cold water slowly swimming it along deep rock piles and weed edges, or in warmer water doing basically anything with it - skipping it around docks, flipping (pitching...) it like a jig into weeds, casting and working it through weeds, popping it off of weed-edges, stroking it in rock piles, etc.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Scraps
    Went through a phase of collecting these baits. Haven't caught anything on them yet. Usually fish it on the bottom like a jig. They skip well too. Really well.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I only bought one to try and want to put myself in the best position to gain confidence in it. If it wasn't a good cold water bait I didn't want to waste my time and lose confidence throwing it in those conditions.

7. Member
    I love these baits. They work in all temps from experience.

I don't always catch fish with them (I don't change colors until I lose the one tied on), but the chartreuse color caught at least one big bass for me daily in a lake with not much clarity. I have caught multiple species with them as well. A snakehead left with it sliding back into the water looking back at me in slow motion.
    80% off of SA Face Shields
    Coupon Code: RCNOD80