SHO gear oil on the floor

I’ve had my 2017 200 SHO trimmed all the way down for the last month with my prop off. Yesterday I noticed a silver dollar sized amount of gear on the floor directly under the skeg. Is this normal or should I have the prop shaft seals replaced?

2. Member
    Find out where it is coming from. The propeller shaft or the drain/fill screw. I would then make a decision as to what might need be done.

Sometimes, you can be fooled by carbon infused water (harmless). But better safe than sorry!

4. Member
    It’s definitely oil. I removed the drain cover and found a mysterious amount of oil around drain screw. I changed the gear oil a couple months ago, removed the old drain seal and replaced it with a new genuine Yamaha seal. The drain screw was tight. I’m not sure if the came out of the drain screw or was residue left over from the change. I cleaned it all up and am closely watching it to see if it leaks from the drain screw.

I'll take a guess. You had red seals on the plugs, put new ones on that were black because that's what Yamaha said the latest and greatest are and that's what was now available?
    2B576211

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    I'll take a guess. You had red seals on the plugs, put new ones on that were black because that's what Yamaha said the latest and greatest are and that's what was now available?
    The seals are black. I don’t remember seeing red seals. Maybe the original factory seals were red? Are the red seals better?

7. Member
    The black seals have different torque values than the red seals. Very easy to over tighten them if a calibrated torque wrench is not used. Heck, even with a torque wrench they can be over tightened since the torque value is so low.

A 2017 production year SHO would have come with the new black seals installed.

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    The black seals have different torque values than the red seals. Very easy to over tighten them if a calibrated torque wrench is not used. Heck, even with a torque wrench they can be over tightened since the torque value is so low.

A 2017 production year SHO would have come with the new black seals installed.
    Definitely the black and quite possibly over tightened.

My 2016 came with the redish colored ones. I ordered new ones and got the black instead of the redish ones so I questioned where I ordered them from. I was told the black ones are the replacements and red ones are no longer available. I used the black ones and they leaked, I'm sure I over tightened AFTER doing some research.
    2B576211

11. Member
    The drain plug seal is definitely leaking. The oil I wiped way has reappeared. Looks like I need to do another lower unit oil change with the proper torque on the drain and fill screws.... I never thought to look there. I thought for sure it was the prop shaft seals, which I’m glad don’t need replaced. Thanks for your help guys

12. Member
    What is the torque value? I normally just get them as tight as possible.

^^^It'll leak if you do that with a black gasket, mine did. See post #8
    2B576211

14. Member
    Sory didnt see post #8. THANK YOU!

15. Member
    So this thread made me go check mine and its leaking also after changing a couple weeks ago.
    I will replace the gasket, but I have a question.
    the directions say 45 degrees after snug.
    How far is that? 3/4 turn more or 1/8 of a turn?
    The directions are confusing to me.
    Thanks in advance.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relesm View Post
    So this thread made me go check mine and its leaking also after changing a couple weeks ago.
    I will replace the gasket, but I have a question.
    the directions say 45 degrees after snug.
    How far is that? 3/4 turn more or 1/8 of a turn?
    The directions are confusing to me.
    Thanks in advance.
    45 degrees is 1/8 of a turn (think of it as going from 12 o'clock to almost 2 o'clock, if that makes sense...)
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

17. Member
    This is good to know, I still have a few red seals left. I never would have thought the black seals would be so fussy. Might find some more red ones. Thanks yam911 for the cut sheet, I printed it and will put it into my file folder. Never would have guessed this. Does the water swell the new style gasket? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Banned
    Did you squirt oil in the cylinders for winter storage? If this is what you did and cycled the cylinders to spread the oil you will get some coming out the prop.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Did you squirt oil in the cylinders for winter storage? If this is what you did and cycled the cylinders to spread the oil you will get some coming out the prop.
    No I didn’t. But it’s a 4 stroke. I’m not sure how engine oil could get all the way down to the lower unit.

20. Member
    Unfortunately this same thing happened to me last winter and found out my heads where cracked! Thank god it was still under warranty and Yamaha replaced the powerhead. If crankcase oil is running down into the prop area most likely you got major issues. I pulled my lower unit and was able to see where crankcase oil was leaking from the bottom of the powerhead. Good Luck brother!