Need Some Help Please

I just bought a 1997 Stratos with an Evinrude 150 Intruder on it. I got it home and noticed some oil on the transom saver. It looks like it's coming from this nipple. Can some one tell me what it's for and does a tube connect to it. I'm also worried that water got into the lower unit through it. Thank You.
    20200130_211746.jpg

That is for your speedometer hose.

3. Member
    Are you sure that the oil is not running down the motor leg and dripping off of the hose fitting?

4. Member
    oil residue from tilting motor up likely the issue and is somewhat normal
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. After further research I found that the nipple is for the speedometer. The rest of the speedometer is missing, should I cap the nipple?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Thanks for the replies. After further research I found that the nipple is for the speedometer. The rest of the speedometer is missing, should I cap the nipple?

will not hurt to cap it but doesnt matter likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    After further research? You were told in the first reply that was for the speedometer. I asked a question and you did not reply, so I give up. Have a good day.

If any of the oil you described is coming out of the speedometer nipple, then you have a crack in the gearcase, possibly from freezing temperatures if the hole in the bullet is plugged. It can also leak oil out of the nipple if someone tried to drill out a plugged hole in the bullet and drilled through the gearcase housing, but that usually is noticeable right away.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

9. Member
    Here's a picture of the transom saver. I don't smell any gas in it, there wasn't any oil spot on the floor of his garage. I don't think it's coming from the pitot nipple. I really hope I didn't get screwed. I really need some help. Thanks Guys

20200201_101129.jpg

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Check the oil line under the cowl for oil leaks.....If it was gear oil it will have a strong sulfur smell to it. It looks like an oil leak from the oil line or if the lower pans have a lot of residue dripping. Check the lower lip of the lower pans for drips.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    After further research? You were told in the first reply that was for the speedometer. I asked a question and you did not reply, so I give up. Have a good day.
    I didn't see your question, sorry

12. Member
    So the mystery oil is solved. The VRO unit has been disabled and the oil line from the tank has been cut. The mechanic that did it didn't plug the hose very and oil was coming from the hose in to the bottom of the engine cover and then running down the mid section of the motor. I plugged the hose better and put a hose clamp on it. Shouldn't leak anymore. Thank you everyone for your help, I guess I was freaking out for no reason.

13. Member
    I'd say you weren't freaking out for no reason.These things are expensive to work on so better safe then sorry in my book.

14. Member
    So the mystery oil is solved. The VRO unit has been disabled and the oil line from the tank has been cut. The mechanic that did it didn't plug the hose very and oil was coming from the hose in to the bottom of the engine cover and then running down the mid section of the motor. I plugged the hose better and put a hose clamp on it. Shouldn't leak anymore. Thank you everyone for your help, I guess I was freaking out for no reason.
    i would get the vro back to working condition if possible also
    MAGA