BBC SPONSOR

School me on a 721.

Never been in one, but have been looking at a new 721 with a 4 merc 250 pro xs. Speed, fishability, comfort, stable with the trollering motor down, dry ride? Looking at one with a c channel trailer, and stainless steel fenders. Read a lot about the trailers so thought I would up grade it. I'm currently in a 2015 20 trx.. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have just looking to upgrade. Thank you for any input.

2. Member
    In my opinion you won’t go wrong with a 721. I had a 2013 721. Max speed for me was 76 gps. I live on Champlain and she can be very unforgiving at times. I owned that boat until 2018 when I bought a 2019 21PHX. I went with a bigger boat because I have family who like to fish as well along with a 100 pound chocolate lab. The 721 had zero stress cracks. I didn’t run the boat extremely hard but I did fish too many tournaments to count in rough conditions. It performed very well. I trailered it to tablerock lake from Vermont and it towed great the entire way. I haven’t been in a 20 trx so I am sure someone will chime in on comparisons. On the trolling motor it tracked well and steering was easy. I stayed dry except when spray would get blown back in the boat from 20 mile per hour wind but that will happen in almost any boat. Also never lost a fish in the live wells. The system works very well.

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    First, you may feel it is a little narrower at the pedal than you are used to but in my mind it is a comfortable width. The ride is amazing. It is as easy to control on the TM as my 18.5” Skeeter was. Nimble when idling around docks. Very stable, not much rolling side to side when partner moves around. Lots of storage. Very comfortable in the cockpit area with lots of leg room. Will run in the mid to upper 70’s with one person and low to mid 70’ with two people. Some get more some get less. Very dry ride. The soft ride is mind blowing in my opinion from what I came from. I personally have not had any trouble with the trailer so far. If you can, take a ride in one. You will love it.

Good luck with your decision.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

4. Member
    Speed about the same. Triton will be wider up front. Phoenix will ride a little better. Fit and finish is about the same. The two boats are very comparable. Can’t go wrong!
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

5. Member
    You wont regret it I wouldn't think. The front deck on the triton is wider but shorter. Unless you have a lot of rods out the 721 wont feel cramped and you can slide them back and still have room. I looked at both the when I was buying and was really glad i got the 721

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I really appreciate the info guys. Thank you..

7. Member
    i have a '19 721 with 4 stroke...My fishing partner just got rid of a TR22 that we had fished out of a lot....The trailering is way better on my bird...pulls easier and just all around a better boat to tow...hole shot and top end on my phoenix is way better as well...The TR22 rode well in big water and was a dry boat and I feel mine is slightly better and a little more comfortable of a ride....The TR22 had bigger storage up front but that wasn't a big deal..Also, the cooler on the TR22 seemed to be a little better with ice...livewells on mine are night and day...never lost a fish in 100 degree weather and have also fished 12 hour night tourneys with water temps in 80s and still kept fish very healthy....I did notice with trolling motor down, the TR22 had a little more stability up front, but it is a very deep hull...All in all i think you will love a 721 and the Pros by far outway the minimal cons.

8. Member
    Im 6`1, 250 and usually have at least 8-10 rods laid out, and my ez troll seat, I have no issues with room. I do keep my rods pushed back a bit so the handles are not even with the seat pole. I came out of a iClass and the ride/storage/live well system is night/day difference!
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo