Thread: Gelcoat Repairs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gelcoat Repairs

Purchased my 21xrs a few years ago and dealer had never told me about prior repairs to front starboard portion of boat that was damaged in an accident. Was repaired by reputable tech in Knoxville TN. Well when the gelcoat was applied he put it on too thick and now its cracking and has a haze. The dealer I purchased from tried contacting the guy that did the repair, but he told my dealer to pound sand. Just a bad situation overall and nothing I can do about it. Just have to suck it up and move on.

Took boat to local fiberglass guy here in town, but he doesn't work on boat with flake much and he doesn't know anyone around my area that does. I live in central Ohio area.

Willing to travel to get job done right, but have no idea where to start except google. Before doing that maybe someone on here might know a good tech that can take care of the gelcoat repair?

F1.PNG
    F2.PNG
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

Hey Whip, you should PM Ted. (crank68)

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Banned
    I've never used these guys but I've checked out some of the work they've done. Some of it short of amazing... They're in the area of the Bullet factory so they may be the people to try... Or give Theresa or Tom a call at the factory they should know a shop or two they can recommend... Dan

https://smokey-mountain-marine-and-f...business.site/

4. Member
    https://www.championshipmarine.com/
    I know you you said you would travel, this is pretty far but they can do anything and do it right.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

5. Member
    Thanks guys...was hoping to travel not quite as far as MO TN or NC. Might have to take a mini vacation if I want to get it done though.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

6. Member
    There is a guy that works for bullet that they even use to repair fiberglass. He worked on my SST after I hit a bolt sticking out of a dock. Tom at bullet can hook you up with him. I've also saw some work from Dixie Marine that looked very good but may be pricey.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    There is a guy that works for bullet that they even use to repair fiberglass. He worked on my SST after I hit a bolt sticking out of a dock. Tom at bullet can hook you up with him. I've also saw some work from Dixie Marine that looked very good but may be pricey.
    Jim at Dixie worked on my Stratos Champion, excellent work. Only problem is Jim keeps pretty busy with all the Rangers that he doesn't always take in other work... Give Dixie a call, you never know... Dan

Tell me what I’m lookin at in the pics...It appears there was a repair and it doesn’t look good. Do you want that ground out and everything resprayed.? If so I may be able to get to try a couple things they may work without a total repair
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    James is the guy at Bullet and he's great, no offense Ted, James fixed mine when I took it to Bullet for some warranty work, think they call him red

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    James is the guy at Bullet and he's great, no offense Ted, James fixed mine when I took it to Bullet for some warranty work, think they call him red
    I don't want to make trouble, but I was told by my dealer that Red is the guy that did my repair. I'd rather not go back to him.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Tell me what I’m lookin at in the pics...It appears there was a repair and it doesn’t look good. Do you want that ground out and everything resprayed.? If so I may be able to get to try a couple things they may work without a total repair
    The fiberglass was repaired fine...its the gelcoat that is the problem. Way to thick and is cracking and now fading. Its a damn shame as rest of boat is mint. I know its cosmetic but for the money I spent on her I want her to be her original beautiful self.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Jim at Dixie worked on my Stratos Champion, excellent work. Only problem is Jim keeps pretty busy with all the Rangers that he doesn't always take in other work... Give Dixie a call, you never know... Dan
    Thanks man
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

13. Member
    Looks like just a wet sand and respray the gel , that's not a major repair someone local to you should be able to do that.. I can't see the cracks in the picture only the haze . Did you put that plastic strip around the carpet edge?
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

14. Member
    Don't know for sure if James is who they call Red, but James did mine and did a GREAT JOB, even did some extra stuff without asking me, everything turned out great

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Don't know for sure if James is who they call Red, but James did mine and did a GREAT JOB, even did some extra stuff without asking me, everything turned out great
    Does he have business name? Just wondering where shop is? If its Red I'd rather not take it back to him.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Does he have business name? Just wondering where shop is? If its Red I'd rather not take it back to him.
    Not sure of the names but the repair shop is on the grounds @ Bullet. He may have another shop @ his house for private sideline work. I would think he lives close to Bullet around Knoxville.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

17. Member
    He lives around Knoxville somewhere, I met him when I went to Bullet, don't know if he does side work or not

18. Member
    The guy that works for bullet is the one that does all the finish work at bullet. He is the one that Tresa and tom refer their customers to do repair work not covered under warranty. He also works out of his home on jobs as well. Ted has a good rep on here and I'm sure does fine work as well. I ran a 1" bolt down the side of my black bullet that the guy at bullet fixed. I cant even tell where it was damaged and I did it. I'm sure any of these three would do you a fine job.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    The guy that works for bullet is the one that does all the finish work at bullet. He is the one that Tresa and tom refer their customers to do repair work not covered under warranty. He also works out of his home on jobs as well. Ted has a good rep on here and I'm sure does fine work as well. I ran a 1" bolt down the side of my black bullet that the guy at bullet fixed. I cant even tell where it was damaged and I did it. I'm sure any of these three would do you a fine job.
    Whos the guy whos nickname is Red? Rather not take it to him is all.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs

20. Member
    Sorry I don't know the names. Call tom and ask him for the gus name.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast