Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    There is no fix PERIOD!!! If there is a fix, it will have to come from someone whose willing to write a software update that will fix the communication issues between the two, independent of both manufacturers. Both Motorguide/Mercury and Navico/Lowrance are aware of the problem and have no fix as I confirmed over the phone with both and many others have confirmed by receiving either an email or letter in the mail. Even though both will say they're working on it, I can 100% guarantee you no solution will be produced and there is no incentive, financially, for them to do so. It sucks for those of us that spent the money to pay for the components necessary to link the two, but this is reality. I have searched, searched, searched and searched for a solution for over a year now and none can be found. I've been in contact with numerous people who have the same issue, compared notes, tried different settings, and none of them work. This is a dead horse and I'm tired of beating it.

2. Member
    Xi3 or Xi5...Lowrance Elites Ti or HDS, which works best with these Motorguides?
    Thanks!
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

3. Member
    If Your TM will be broken by GPS/Software issue, then there's no difference which MFD is linking...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    If Your TM will be broken by GPS/Software issue, then there's no difference which MFD is linking...
    And how are you are qualified to make that statement?
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

5. Member
    My 6 month tm is in CS because of this issue. Secont time in past 6 months. They trying with differen sonar models - same result. Also- they trying replacing my trolling motor for new one- same issue...
    My nk2, gateway kit are ok, testing with old xi5- working as dream....
    If you have luck with tm- no gps/software issue- You'll be happy- no matter wihich mfd you using- trolling motor pannel looks similar in all units. Elite ti has't full touchscreen - so its possible to little less comfort when you create route on mfd( non active corners of display),
    Simrad Go xse have full touchscreen for less money than hds units, but hans't genesislive feature- if it's important...
    Last edited by MaciejK; 02-18-2020 at 12:21 AM.

6. Member
    So, its mainly the current Xi3's, not the older model Xi5's?
    None of the Xi3's can link with any Lowrance units?

7. Member
    Problem exist since 2019yr tm models , some motors 2018yr have this issue too. Like I said before- if You have luck with TM, working good with all units via gateway kit, if tm is broken- mfd is no matter, - navigation features
    not working in n2k
    Two weeks ago CS replaced gps module and motherboard in my tm, not working…. those gps module is different than before, and is broken too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    So, its mainly the current Xi3's, not the older model Xi5's?
    None of the Xi3's can link with any Lowrance units?
    From the research I've done and notes I've compared with other users affected by the issue, it seems to only affect newer (2018+) Xi3/Xi5's. Not sure if they're using a different motherboard, gps module, or both, but it seems those of us with newer Motorguides are having the issue. I've spoken to someone whose older Xi5 worked great with his Lowrance unit and had to have the motherboard and GPS module replaced due to corrosion. After the repair, his Xi5 began having the same issue.

The issue isn't a total loss of communication between the two. I can steer my trolling motor from the Lowrance unit but being able to steer from the unit is meaningless. The main reason I bought the unit was to have the ability to chart routes on the finder and have the TM follow those routes or to mark a waypoint, and go to that waypoint and anchor. This is what is not working. In most cases the TM will go nowhere near the first point in the route or waypoint. If it does come close to the point, it will not anchor as indicated and will just go in some random direction. It would be awesome to mark a waypoint on the Lowrance, click go to cursor, and have that happen, but it doesn't. If you watch the video in post #19, this is exactly the issue everyone is having.

9. Member
    I had the same problem, so I made an additional bracket out of 2 pieces of nylon cutting board and section of pvc pipe that I could swing over the side of the boat and lower the transducer into the water. I sold the boat but I still have the bracket, I will take a picture of it and try to post it later today.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

10. Member
    So, just need to send back the Gateway and Starter kit (unopened) and forget about having them connected.

11. Member
    So, just need to send back the Gateway and Starter kit (unopened) and forget about having them connected.
    That's up to you. I'd make sure to keep the receipts, though, so you can send them back. May as well hook them up and try it out first. Who knows, you might get lucky!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjeremiah View Post
    That's up to you. I'd make sure to keep the receipts, though, so you can send them back. May as well hook them up and try it out first. Who knows, you might get lucky!
    This lucky is worth lot of money. It's like roulette- you put on table 1000$ and waiting for luck.
    MG with free emotions- new advertisement is ready….
    Last edited by MaciejK; 02-18-2020 at 10:21 AM.

13. Member
    I like the Xi3...took it out first time Sunday, located fish with the Elite in open water, set anchor and wife caught three!
    Just using the Pinpoint fob is easy enough. Had to go in early though, battery died, was expecting that, knew it was on it's last leg.
    Replacement battery for 12v, 55 lb., Xi3, looking at Sam's Club Duracell Deep Cycle, size 27 or should I go with size 31?
    Thanks!

14. Member
    I like the Xi3...took it out first time Sunday, located fish with the Elite in open water, set anchor and wife caught three!
    Just using the Pinpoint fob is easy enough. Had to go in early though, battery died, was expecting that, knew it was on it's last leg.
    Replacement battery for 12v, 55 lb., Xi3, looking at Sam's Club Duracell Deep Cycle, size 27 or should I go with size 31?
    Thanks!
    The size 27 should be plenty, but bigger is always better. I have a pair of the Duracell 27's. They're good batteries for the money for sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123