Hopewell Marina on James to Chick

About how many miles is it on the river from Hopewell to the Chick?
    Semper Fi

It's about 35 +/- miles to the mouth of the chick last time I checked.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Good mapping distance calculator: https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-g...alculator.htm#
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    Judging by this it's about 20 miles. Guess I was off a bit.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Using that map and going along river channel I get 30miles to chick and 36 to Jamestown.

Thank you
    Semper Fi

6. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Using that map and going along river channel I get 30miles to chick and 36 to Jamestown.

Thank you
    Yep thats what I get too, sounds right. It's a haul but tons of guys do it.. now if we can just figure out where all the released fish go and capitalize on them lol.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

I also believe its close to 30 miles if you stay in the channel and don't cut the flats. the measurement that I use is a 1/4 tank at 5500rpm lol

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    With the weather looking good for Monday I think I may play hookie from work and take Wife for a ride on the new pontoon. Was thinking running to chick and maybe Jamestown would be good for her. 70miles round trip so I guess I best fill that thing up.
    Semper Fi

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    With the weather looking good for Monday I think I may play hookie from work and take Wife for a ride on the new pontoon. Was thinking running to chick and maybe Jamestown would be good for her. 70miles round trip so I guess I best fill that thing up.
    I agree with ya the weather will be nice.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

10. Member
    For a boat ride, that is one thing. Were I to specifically want to fish the Chick, I think I'd be inclined to trailer on over there and put in somewhere down there. But I'm still chicken about the rivers and all the submerged hazards. I need to get out with someone with more experience and is willing to talk about the areas to be careful....sometime.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

11. Member
    When on the river is try to stay in the main channel when running. If I get off in to creek I am very cautious because you can hit stuff. Heck I kicked up mud in a place I have run numerous times because of an extreme low tide.

And yes if going to Chick to fish I would trailer. Mentioned trailering to Chick river front park... She said Nope, would rather ride in boat then tow it.
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    Well we got a late start and the wife had to do a conference call so we didn't run to Jamestown. Just cruised up to Richmond and rode around. Boat ran great. Have different prop on the way. Feel like im hitting the limiter (vessel view shows max rpm) but don't feel like it is a WOT. It did 37mph/gps. Hoping the new prop will get it close to 40mph.

Came across a broke down boat that we towed back to Osborne. From up river of JD place. Guy said it was running hot, but thought he'd be ok..????? Dang thing was locked slam up. .

Any got to spend half day on the water with the bride, that's always a good day!! Now if I could just get some time to get the other boat and do some fishing.
    Semper Fi

13. Member
    Glad you got a chance to get out. And yes you need to fishing!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758