Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pantera Classic vs Ranger Z518

I'm looking at buying a new boat and trying to decide between a Ranger Z518 vs Bass Cat Pantera Classic. Anyone have any experience between these two particular boats?

2. Member
    Both are "best in class" but are very different. It depends on what you want in a boat. Fit, finish, and the trailer will be equal. The Ranger is a barge, the Pantera is a rocket. There is so much difference in these two boats, you really have to spend some time in each and weigh the pros and cons. I'm a BassCat guy (Puma/SHO), but you won't go wring with either.

3. Member
    Both are similarly priced. Looking for what may be the best quality. I know Bass Cat makes an impressive boat. I like aspects of both.

Look at the BCB build videos on YouTube then buy the BC

5. Member
    I watched the videos. Great quality but I also know it's there cheaper line so how does the vision line compare to Ranger in terms of glass?

6. Member
    The 518 is 3” wider but the Classic is 8” longer. Classic is definitely gonna be a better and drier ride. At 200 pounds lighter you’d think the 518 could hold it’s own against the Cougar but you’ll find yourself looking at the back end of a BassCat. You really need to get into both and drive/fish each to make the decision that makes you happy though. BassCat in my opinion is the way to go. The customer service also puts them in a class of their own.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llsdjv View Post
    I watched the videos. Great quality but I also know it's there cheaper line so how does the vision line compare to Ranger in terms of glass?
    Cheaper not because they skimp on glass quality. Simply put, it just doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the premium model BassCats. BassCat also has a lifetime hull, stringer warranty.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

8. Member
    It's hard to get an unbiased opinion in the BassCat forum.
    As someone who is picking up a Pantera Classic soon I would go with the BassCat.

Have you looked at the Pantera II SP series.

10. Member
    As BCB stated, the PII is more in line with the Ranger on both companies premium builds.
    The Classic still has the same quality, but comes with less bells and whistles. The Classic is also available with only a white cap as an option.

The PII has the same beam as the Ranger, but carries the beam in the rear of the boat. The Classic carries the width in the bow area.
    Its all in what your wanting out your rig. The Ranger will have a wider front deck and slightly more stable at rest.
    The PII will exceed it performance wise in every way, including response to TM inputs. It will also have a dryer ride.
    Both boats are quality products.
    Wish you the best in your future rig whichever you choose. Great position to be in.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Don't know about Ranger, but I can call Bass cat and they have parts and are always willing to help me find or fix what I need. My boat is a 98 Pantera ll. They are so willing to help. They are also on this site answering questions. Just me but customer service is everything. Go with the best customer service from manufacturer and dealer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    As BCB stated, the PII is more in line with the Ranger on both companies premium builds.
    The Classic still has the same quality, but comes with less bells and whistles. The Classic is also available with only a white cap as an option.

The PII has the same beam as the Ranger, but carries the beam in the rear of the boat. The Classic carries the width in the bow area.
    Its all in what your wanting out your rig. The Ranger will have a wider front deck and slightly more stable at rest.
    The PII will exceed it performance wise in every way, including response to TM inputs. It will also have a dryer ride.
    Both boats are quality products.
    Wish you the best in your future rig whichever you choose. Great position to be in.
    Very nicely stated by Cajun. My previous rig was a P2, and I now have the Classic. With respect to your fibreglass question, all of the Cats have a VE barrier coat. The premium models contain VE in the outer layers as well, but, is an option in the non-premium models, and, is a good idea if you are planning on keeping your non-premium model for a long time. I have no experience with the Z518, as Ranger has never been on my short list as part of my fishing experience is driving a higher performance hull like a Cat.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Both fine rigs by two of the best manufacturers. One thing to keep in mind is storage. Most notably rod storage. While they have a pretty identical layout, the port rod locker in the smaller Rangers have rod tubes. So with rod socks you can probably stuff 12 or so rods in the Ranger port locker and have center rod storage also. Then that may take up tackle storage in the center box. If you don’t carry too many rods it won’t be an issue. Personally I like to have my baits up in the front compartments. Just something to think about. Good luck with your purchase.

14. Member
    Does anyone have the true storage length of the new Classic with the 200 on it. I believe the specs say 21’6’ just wanted to verify if it’s accurate with the 200hp. Thanks

15. Member
    I've personally owned a 2010 Z518. To me it was a rough ride compared to the Champion I owned before and most certainly compared to the Caracal I currently own now. You will get wet and you will feel it in your back in chop. I liked the boat overall, just was never happy with the ride. Get the Basscat!

The online measurements should be very close.

17. Member
    Cat has a faster smoother ride, 518 shines with the TM down.
    Quality of both is great.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The online measurements should be very close.
    Thanks, just checking if the new Merc 200 adds to the length.

19. Member
    The 518 will straight up beat your guts out. Horrible ride. Fishes great.

20. Moderator
    I own a 518. It does ride pretty bad but does everything else great. I love it overall. BC is a great boat too. I like the width and fish ability in the 518. And it runs 70+ easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast