Knocked off my skeg (G2), options?

So I managed to find a stump and knocked off the majority of my skeg. I wasn't even going fast, maybe 25mph. 10.5 hours on the G2. So, insurance claim and get a new gear case or just get a shop to weld on a new one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I would do a insurance claim and try for a new prop i am sure it is bent some. And if you had a warrany issue later on it would not be related to the impact damage.

Putting a Skeg Guard on there would be an option.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    Check with Evinrude or someone in the know before welding, will it fry computer stuff in engine ? Usually welded stuff will break at weld if you hit something again. Cast aluminum sometimes doesn't weld very well.

5. Member
    I checked with my dealer but they didn’t really give me an answer. I have the same concern about frying the electronics in the LU from welding.

6. Member
    A good shop will know how much heat they can apply. They will know if they need to gut it before they weld. The skeg is oddly shaped to counteract the torque of the prop shaft. It won’t be easy to match the factory contour. G2 lower units are easily weldable though.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

That should be an easy fix for a dealer. When I had mine done they pulled the lower, welded a new skeg and painted it. I have an older DI motor, but can't see why it would be any different. It was about a $250 fix including paint.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBengal View Post
    I checked with my dealer but they didn’t really give me an answer. I have the same concern about frying the electronics in the LU from welding.

we sell a tool to stop spikes and protect computers while welding on vehicles so that can be neutralized if welding is an option. tool likely available anywhere tools are sold
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    If you are insured pursue that. In my experience the welded section is always a weak point and that is a large portion of the skeg that is missing. If you find someone skilled enough to weld it the shift actuator will not be damaged due to the welding and best to remove the gearcase if going this route. If fixing it by welding on a piece of correct alloy (in the rough shape and chamber of the original skeg), I would be worried about the mechanical damage internally from such a hit.

I had that happen to my LU and the dealer had a skeg welded back on in addition to about 5000 worth of work to the guts he said was bad and my insurance paid for it all. A year later the skeg where weld broke off and this time they replaced the entire LU at a cost of 6000 plus.
    I would make a claim, if you have good insurance they will replace the whole case with guts. Put a skeg guard on the old LU and keep for spare.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    I made a claim on Friday. Waiting to hear back.

I would assume that your motor is above 200 hp and if so, the skeg is cast with a camber in it to offset the prop torque as they do not use trim tabs on the underside of the anti-ventilation plates. Welding a flat piece of aluminum will not work well. Your insurance company should spring for a new case and be sure that the propshaft is not bent or the splines twisted any.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

13. Member
    So, my insurance is thinking it's repairable (welding option) and they are questioning the cambered skeg. Is there any official BRP documentation that I can send them describing the cambered skeg?

You will not find a replacement part for the skeg through Evinrude. At minimum they need to pay for the case and labor to have the guts converted.
    Call Evinrude and they will tell you there is not a replacement part. Ask them to send you a letter or email stating the same.
    Then, get a new insurance company because yours s...s. I use State Farm and you can read the rest above in my earlier post.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Member
    Great idea! I'll call Evinrude in the morning. Thanks for the help!

16. Member
    According to Evinrude, all DPS models in my year (2018) came with a straight skeg. Looks like welding won’t be that big a deal if insurance doesn’t come through.

17. Member
    According to Evinrude, all DPS models in my year (2018) came with a straight skeg. Looks like welding won’t be that big a deal if insurance doesn’t come through.
    I would ask your insurance company if they are going to warranty the skeg and get it in writing from them. As well as the company doing the repair make them give you a warranty that it wont break in that spot in the future. I doubt either are willing to put that in writing. You should have a replacement cost policy, they owe to replace with like kind and quality and IMO a welded skeg is not the same as a cast skeg.

The skeg having the bow in it or not is not your issue, With Hydro steering you don't have torque that that Skeg is trying to reduce. The issue you need to worry about is your skeg breaking off at high speeds causing you to hook the boat and possibly cause damage or get hurt........
    Did you ask the Evinrude guy if they sell a replacement part like I told you too. His answer will be no and if thats the case, why. Well because I just told you why, they are not safe on these high performance outboards. Also the cast Aluminum they use now does not weld that well. The old OMC motors used a different type of Aluminum and they did weld up okay.
    Get Evinrude to email you that they do not sell a replacement skeg and that should be enough for your insurance company.

Evinrude and the rest of the outboard industry do not go by years, only by model number for identification. What is the complete model number that is printed on the serial number tag? That is the only way to find out about your skeg.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !