Thread: Can I do this?

Can I do this?

I have an 8ft gen 1 talon on my boat. The control board went out and my son wired a 3 way switch from the battery to the talon. Flip the switch up,it goes up. Flip the switch down and it goes down. Any reason I cant use it like that? I posted in talon/power pole threads and didnt get any answer. I do realize it will only go up and down.

As long as the switch is a "Momentary" switch I don't see a problem. You're just making a connection to the relay switch. You won't have bluetooth or remote, but it will still work from the switch.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    It is a momentary switch. The pole does go up and down faster. Thanks for the reply!

4. Member
    A mom on/off/mom on (switch will show (on)off(on) )switch will run the motor, but would be better to be setup with relays and take the electrical load off the switch. Without the control board, you won't have the auto stop when the spike encounters some solid going down, when it gets to the top when going up. It won't have the three extra "hammers" that seats the spike. All you are doing is reversing the drive motor. Again, use relays like a trim wiring harness as most switches can't handle the amps involved with the motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]