Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Back when the limit was ten we were using boats with subpar live well systems compared to these new ones with pump out, recirculation and air systems. Keep the water moving and oxygenated.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I would suggest leaving the divider in place if you are tournament fishing. When I was a kid, my first boat was a tracker 175 and I had 2 3+ lb spots dart out when I opened the lid. One completely cleared the gunnel. I originally took it out for the same concerns, but replaced it after that happened. I think without the divider, they’re able to build up enough speed to go airborne.
    I just purchased a RT 188 last week. The first thing I did was take the divider out. Then I thought, those fish can jump out now. So I cut some aluminum mesh (.06 thk) and now half of it is always covered when I open the lid. Just slide it back and forth and you can see through it.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

3. Member
    Glory Bags will stop fish from jumping out and make it easy to retrieve them.

Thanks guys for replying, I have the V-T2 vents in the lid but my 2015 didn't come with a recirculating livewell. In the summer time I was worried about pulling in the hot surface water throughout the day. Anyways, you reply's were helpful so I feel better about trying to keep bass alive. I guess the best way is to go out and catch 5 good fish and test it out.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    Thanks guys for replying, I have the V-T2 vents in the lid but my 2015 didn't come with a recirculating livewell. In the summer time I was worried about pulling in the hot surface water throughout the day. Anyways, you reply's were helpful so I feel better about trying to keep bass alive. I guess the best way is to go out and catch 5 good fish and test it out.
    put an aerator in, recirculate & the bubbles reoxygenate the water
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

RichW, thought about checking to see what it would take to put a recirculating system in. Surely, they have a kit or something to give you an idea how to do it......thanks all for the comments.......
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

7. Member
    'Sammiew' ....... I once had a boat (Xpress H50) that I wanted a recirculation system in. The boat had a very basic livewell system in it ..... drain plug bottom, water pumps in from the lake, overflow to let the excess out. I bought a timer switch, recirculation pump, intake screen, spray nozzle, 2 hose clamps and a small piece of clear tubing. I literally put a hole in the lower sidewall of the livewell to allow the pump to stick through it (instead of the transom like normally). I cut the threaded tube to fix, siliconed the plastic hull fitting nuts on both sides, and installed the screen on the threads on the inside of the livewell. I then put the spray nozzle through the livewell sidewall and siliconed. Connected the nozzle to the pump with the hose. Ran the pump's wires to the dash to the Livewell Timer swtch I bought.

Here's a link to my boast's build thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=312937
    Looks like this project was in post #6. Sorry that Photobucket has goofed the pictures up, but hopefully you can make things out good enough though slightly blurry. This recirculation idea is the hose on the far left of the 3 if looking from inside the bilge area. The screen and nozzle is on the right of everything (middle of livwell) when looking at the picture that's inside the livewell.

It worked good! I would loan this boat out to a friend of mine who's son was fishing the high school club thing. They never lost a fish in it. The thing I always liked was that you can pump fresh water in from the lake and still keep it rolling with the recirculation pump at the same time. Again, I liked it. Granted it's not as 'clean' as a Ranger factory install with the flapper selector, etc. But then again, every fiberglass Ranger I've EVER owned (3 now), that dang flapper valve is KNOWN for goofing up as soon as trash gets into it.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    You can also buy a 12V recirculating aerator like the one in this link. I've kept one of these in my boats for about 20 years and I have my rigged with clips so that in hot weather or if I get a decent bag of fish swimming around the livewell I stick this in and hook it up and leave it running. Cheap insurance and it works well.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Sense-5...0AAOSwxs1eKgSO
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Thanks Ranger & tcesni,

When I get in from offshore I will check out your ideas.....thanks for your time.

10. Member
    Late to the party, but I have a 03 fish hawk with the standard big well, I run a bubbler and vt2 vents in my system, I also place the bubbler on a 9ah separate battery its runs all day and doesn't drain your battery.

11. Member
    The link below is the one I got to store in my boat in case the built in one fails during a tournament.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have a good one and thank God for it!

12. Member
    I have a 2010 Tracker Grizzly 1448, I fished tournaments for years with just a large cooler with the fish saver live well system. I never lost a fish or in my club it was a disqualification. I just used frozen lake water in small Gatorade bottles. I don’t think you would have any issues with the live well system in the RT 188.

Sammie,
    I sent you a PDF with more complete information, but these two pics address what you would have to do to update your RT to the factory Recirculation system.
    First, the plumbing:
    You would have to mount a 3 way valve and new pump near the existing pickup transom connector. Re-route the existing drain line and connect it to the output side of the new valve.
    Mount the selector switch near the throttle lever. Route the control cable into the bilge and connect to the new valve.

You will also need to plug the transom where the old system’s drain line connected.

If it were me, I would go for one of the aftermarket add on recirculation systems.

If anyone is interested in a PDF that explains the 3 Ranger RT Series Livewell plumbing just click on this link to my cloud drive. Click download at the top right of the screen to download and open or save.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...D4imFwwzwtXq1g
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 02-16-2020 at 04:15 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12