S and P low cost index fund

So I've heard Warren Buffet say that this is probably the safest way to enter the market. Do you think the timing is right to jump in? Things seem to have been running on an awfully good clip and the markets are very high.
    I'm 44, have a pension and a 403b so this would be more or less a diversification of my portfolio. Do you guys think this is a good approach or should I be considering a different route. Thanks

2. Member
    Cramer also reccomends starting with an S&P index fund. The market is highly valued right now but you could always dollar cost average in. If you want broader exposure you could do a Total Stock Market index also. Are you going to do a mutual fund or ETF?

3. Member
    It does seem high, but it’s been difficult to call a top...and it sound like you want to be an investor rather than a trader....so try not to worry so much about it and dollar cost average yourself in.

there are so many sp500 funds that are cheap or free. Vanguard is very cheap and fidelity is free. I would consider where u want to be long term and start investing there. I have found vanguard to be a very forthright company in the way they treat their investors. I believe that stems from the influence of the recently deceased founder John Bogle.

In fact he is in the inspiration behind the website started by his followers Bogleheads.com. There are so many people there helping each other and sharing ideas. An incredible resource.

Also consider a Roth IRA as a part of your strategy too.

4. Member
    I would probably go the ETF route, and look into the Bogleheads site. Appreciate the feedback guys.