Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Organizing the rods on the front deck of your f/s

Hey all,

I've got a 2000 Champion 190SX, new to me last March, and I've been working on ways to manage the rods on the front deck when I'm fishing. My front compartments are in no way a rod locker, so that isn't an option. I usually only fish with 3-5 rods at a time, depending on where I'm fishing, but hate having to move everything to the back of the boat to head out to the next spot.
    I'm messing around with some kind of rod organizer that will keep 5 rods in easy reach, and still be able to secure them for a 40-50mph run to the next spot if needed.
    Is anyone else as OCD about this as me, and if so, what do you use or how do you do it?

I've mocked up something that I think will work, and plan on mounting it to the top of my compartment cover. should be able to still lift the lid with the rods all secured. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

20200127_132050.jpg
    Last edited by Jdog 190; 01-28-2020 at 06:23 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    my boat has a windshield across the boat, so no console to mount those to. also trying to keep them below casting level....

4. Member
    JDog, I had a similar issue. I actually put my rod handles towards the bow trolling motor and have the tips hang just outside the front console windshield. I have a Nitro Z19 Sport and it has a handle up there to hold onto if someone is sitting up there under power. I bought a velcro strap that I run through the handle to tie my rods down. Then when I zoom off to another fishing spot I just strap the velcro around the rods and it is secured by the handle. I purchased Rod Savers as I liked how they were a little more rugged. https://rodsaver.com/collections/rod-savers
    I didn't screw them to my deck as we often use the front deck for swimming/lounging, but they come with screws to attach to your deck. Might be worth a look as they offer different sizes etc.

5. Member
    I think i get what you are talking about. Any chance you have a couple pictures of your setup?

6. Member
    Unfortunately Not. The boat is in deep winter storage for another 2 months at a boat dealer. Sorry. Darn MN winters.

7. Member
    @bassmastermatt,
    I used the foam insert from a rodsaver of some kind that was in an old Crestliner that i bought. You can see it under the rod tip in the picture of my first post. I would lay the rods on the deck, and that foam would keep the rod tips off the glass. Had a strap that went around the compartment lid so I could lock the rods down when I was running. When I added my new Garmin to the front deck, I lost the room for those rod tips, and had to start looking for a new solution. Even before the fish finder, I was always nervous about catching a rod tip with the trolling motor when I stowed it.
    Thanks for the input! I'm from Michigan originally, and I can tell you I don't miss those winters much at all. Especially when I'm January fishing.

I do pretty much what BassmasterMatt does. I use a bungee across them. I will try and get a pic for ya.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

9. Member
    This is what I just finished doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    This is what I just finished doing.
    Doh! That makes waaaay more sense now that I can see it.

11. Member
    Ranger Rod, Great idea! I can't tell if you did or not, did you install some sort of protective grommet on the hole you cut in? Unfortunately I don't think I can take this route with the Z19 Sport as it has permanent cushions that the wife and kids use installed in that area. I angle my rods like you do, but I have them lean up and out of the boat slightly.

12. Member
    Thanks.
    I sanded and painted the edges. Currently I just have wire loom around the edge that I put on after the picture. Might buy some car door trim. Too many projects.
    I'm going to put cushions on as well. I figured when I have the family in the boat I won't need so many rods anyway.
    The spot I had to drill was very limited because of the glovebox.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    Ranger Rod, Great idea! I can't tell if you did or not, did you install some sort of protective grommet on the hole you cut in? Unfortunately I don't think I can take this route with the Z19 Sport as it has permanent cushions that the wife and kids use installed in that area. I angle my rods like you do, but I have them lean up and out of the boat slightly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS

13. Member
    I've been trying to figure this out as well...

14. Member
    so simple I love it

15. Member
    If I'm not mistaken, some boats in the Fisherman Series of boats from Ranger has a port cutout in the Starboard side of the boat like Ranger Rod does. I recall seeing it on a couple boats, once at a show and again at a FLW tournament, when we were looking at boats. I thought about getting the piece from Ranger and doing it to our 212LS when we got it but I don't think I have enough room under the console to make it work, might take a closer look this summer.

16. Member
    Well, figured out I don't have room in the passenger/port side console to cut that hole out for the rods. I stuffed a subwoofer under there, and just don't have anywhere else to put it.
    Cut the newest pattern to test this weekend on Berryessa. Hope to have it installed tomorrow.

20200204_195704.jpg

17. Member
    Nice work. (Strange I don't see a beer on your work bench tho)
    How do you keep it from bouncing out of the boat?
    1997 Ranger 692VS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Nice work. (Strange I don't see a beer on your work bench tho)
    How do you keep it from bouncing out of the boat?
    I still need to cut the final pattern out of HDPE plastic (think white cutting board). I am having a piece of 4" wide aluminum bent for a bottom bracket. It'll be 31" long, with a 3" 90 bent at each end. That will give me something at each end to attach the holders to, and then I'll secure the entire thing to the top of the compartment lid on the starboard side of the bow. That gives me foot room while I'm fishing, and keeps them out from underfoot. The bungee on the rod tip side keeps the rods from bouncing/sliding out in transit from spot to spot. I'm not a speed freak, so I'm usually only doing 45-50 across the water. The boat will do 62-3, but burns through the gas a lot faster that way. With the champ's hull, I get a smooth ride in up to 1 1/2 footers, so the rods shouldn't be bouncing around very much (hopefully). ...and the whiskey is kept on the shelf to the left under the bench...
    Last edited by Jdog 190; 02-05-2020 at 11:47 AM.

19. Member
    Ok, so here is what I came up with.
    Rod tips are clear of the trolling motor, and the compartent lid still opens enough to get things in and out. Rods are pretty secure. I'll be testing it out Saturday, so fingers crossed!

20200206_145034.jpg

20200206_135158.jpg

20. Member
    Update:

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Fished a tournament on Berryessa with the Manteca Bassin Buddies last Saturday, and while the organizer didn't help me catch any fish, it worked great for the rods .

I normally end up tangling the rods up when they are laying on the deck, and this made a big difference with that. Rods were very secure as we made longer runs on a much larger lake than I normally fish. The 1/4" cutting boards I bought at wallyworld are maybe just a tad flexible, but an upgrade to 1/2" would fix that. All in all, pretty happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast