Took out the Ballistic 223 for the first time

I took the Ballistic 223 out for the first time last weekend, and I am still smiling!

First let me start off by saying I came out of a Ranger Z520 and nothing against Ranger as it was a good boat.

But to say I am a Ballistic fan is an understatement. After the 2 hour break in and some seat time I was able to get it up to 77MPH and it seemed to have a bit more, still getting comfortable and finding the best settings. I am very happy that I made the decision to go Ballistic. This thing rides as good as it looks. To top it off I was able to put the trolling motor down and break it in with a few fish, always nice!

most of us have seen falconpilots driving videos on here and I have to say the one that he is riding in the waves at a pretty good speed is the real deal, it runs through that kind of stuff like nobody’s business.

I am still working on the hole shot as the prop wants to blow out right before break over. I have 2 full and 1 small plug in now and I still need to feather it a little. I may need to plug all the holes to see if that helps it stay hooked up better, we will see.

I am one happy owner!

2020 Ballistic 223
    250 Pro XS
    BRAVO 1 29p

2. Member
    Pictures please.

3. Member
    Jrodgers
    i have pictures on the 3rd page of the picture thread.

4. Member
    i would expect more speed? was that all she had or still babying it?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    JC

More time you spend it, more you’ll love it! It’s a awesome fishing machine and ride is second to none IMO...Drop that plate down to 3’ below pad and it’ll help stop the blow out..course your running a TM where I’m running sporty so may be a little different...Congrats on beautiful boat!
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

6. Member
    Mactiman

I think it has a bit more, but I am really happy with the over all performance on the first day.

7. Member
    Falconpilot

Thanks, I will have to experiment with my prop plugs and plate height a bit more.

8. Member
    Might need to have the props tweaked to help that blow out. I had the same issues with my Allison but a little tweaking from a knowledgeable prop guy helps a ton.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

9. Member
    Today I plugged all 4 holes with solid plugs and the hole shot improved. It still spools up quickly and gets a little loose before it connects but it feels much better.
    i like the way it rolls now, but I do have some concern that I might need a 28 or 27.5 Bravo 1 to get the top end RPMS up a little higher. Right now I am a little over 5,700 RPMS at 77 MPH. I would like to see the RPMS closer to 6,000.
    if I dropped down to a 28 or 27.5 I might have hole shot issues.
    What are the BBC thoughts ? Leave it or drop it down to ?

10. Member
    Dropping to a lower pitch prop should decrease your hole shot time. You may need to drop the JP slightly to stop blow out.
    I always go to a smaller pitch prop to get my RPM's where they need to be. If your on the Rev limiter or want a bit more speed you can always have the prop worked.
    Its my understanding the TQ band of the new V8 fourstrokes like a smaller wheel.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I suspect some things will change once the engine is broke in well. Then the real testing should begin.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    You might be able to fine tune that prop, I believe a 29 is just a pitched up 28. Get some time in the seat then call Mark Croxtan, he can hook you up.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrrsme View Post
    You might be able to fine tune that prop, I believe a 29 is just a pitched up 28. Get some time in the seat then call Mark Croxtan, he can hook you up.

definitely this!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    i appreciate everyone’s input. I am happy with the overall performance, just was a little concerned that the RPMs were a little low on the top end. I will spend a little more time with it before making any prop changes. Thank you.

15. Banned
    Personally I like to setup my boats to run within 50-100 rpms of the max rpms for the motor. I would call Mark and do what he says.