Thread: Rt19&

Rt19&

How many of you rt owners have added. Jackplate& was it worth the investment. My dealer told me the only Benift was a little more speed. Would appreciate your input thanks.

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I have the G2 HO on my 198 and it is plenty fast and powerful enough for me. So I never considered it from day 1, and will never consider it.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    Thanks for your input King fish

4. Member
    I had my RT198 out today for the first time, I got the 2 hour break-in accomplished. And I will say that I can't imagine needing any more speed on that boat. Not that it is a speed demon, but it is not built to be a go fast boat. I got to around 50 GPS and it had more but I was being easy due to break-in. I can't say that I need to go much faster in a tin boat. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and it rides and handles great.
    Go Big Blue!

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71oldbassbassman View Post
    Thanks for your input King fish
    You are welcome Sir.
    There will be more folks chime in, just give it a day or two. You will probably get some good insight from both sides of the equation.

Mechanic Bob will offer up some good info as well when he returns from his 1 week, how shall we say it - "hiatus". He is a good resource for all things Ranger and RT198. He'll be back next Sunday or Monday, Good Lord will 'n and the Creek don't rise...

Don't expect to get any more than 60, maybe 61 in a 198, no matter what motor you have. Most all these rigs cruise real nice at 52-55 and that is plenty fast in this boat.

If you are looking for 65 - 70 you will need a boat w/ a 200.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

6. Member
    Thanks bleed blue. I have a 150 sho on mine and 50 is no problem on gps. I’m more interested in how it would handle in rough water. Sounds like. I may not need the jack plate.

7. Member
    Some of the 198's don't perform well with a jack plate, some do. I have read on some forums that some 198's with a jack plate don't get enough lift and struggle to run 50 mph. I have no jack plate and have he Merc 150L four stroke, my prop is the tempest plus 24p. It has a good hole shot and I run 58 gps with me and a full tank of gas and all my fishing gear. I think there is a conversation about this under the Mercury four stroke section on this site. it's on page two of the Normal four stroke vs pro xs four stroke thread.
    Last edited by Jraywheat; 01-28-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

8. Member
    I don't feel i need one either as the performance is very good as is.

Benefits of having one would be being able to raise the motor for shallow water idling and getting on plane in shallow water. Also for mounting transducers and power poles-talons.

I have to agree with some of the others. Performance I don’t think your gonna gain much to make a big purchase. I have a 4” with transome wedges and a 23p prop on my merc 4stroke and I run 60 on my best days by myself. Where it shine is when I fish our stumpy lakes in S.E. oklahoma and I can jack that thing all the way up.

10. Member
    I have had mine for a year. No jackplate. It is a mid 50s boat fully loaded.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    IMO that rig doesn’t need a jp for performance but if you fish shallow having the ability to raise the motor to get on plane or idle around with the engine raised is great.

I had one on my bay boat and loved being able to get on plane with the engine 6” higher!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s a good looking red fox! He/she eats very well.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    I had a 6" JP on my Lowe 18HP, which is a Pad Hull in the old Triton Tin setup. I gained 2mph and lost a lot of stability, especially in the turns. My Ranger has no plate and it runs very well. With your transom being set back, you can run the motor up to hole #3 to see what you get.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

14. Member
    Never thought of raising the motor up. Might try it .Guys I really appreciate all the input it’s been very helpful . Thanks

15. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Save your $$$$ You lose stability if you go with a JP. I was going to put one on my RT188 top mount Power Poles BUT found out I lose my warranty. I'll run it
    just the way I brought it home from my dealer. PLUS, I dont worry about gaining 2 MPH LOL
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

I haven’t had any problems with stability on mine. Help ya handle rough water better also since your motor will sit farther back.

Also I think it’s a thing that if the dealer installs it won’t void the warranty. I know like my model ranger sent the dealer the transom wedges for my rig and still has coverage, but they did have a clause in there but not heavily enforced.

Lot of it just need to look at how shallow and where you fish. I like running up creek until I have no water left and stumpy areas.

I don’t know what year your ranger is but you could see some speed gains out of it but these boats don’t really see over 60 no matter what ya do.

17. Member
    My boat is a 2017 model 150 sho . Thanks for your input Big-Tuna

18. Member
    I have a JP on my 198 with a 150 Etec HO and on a good day I run right at 60 on gps. I use the JP for getting into very shallow water and when running in ruff water, don't know if it helps much with speed.

19. Member
    The running in ruff water is more of my concern. That’s the only reason for me to consider it. Lakes where I fish get pretty rough especially in the spring.wide open water with no where to hide lol.