Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long did your trailer bunks last?

I have a 2019 Z18 with dual wheel trailer. Picked it up last March. All I can say is Nitro seemed to use the LEAST quality and cheapest carpet on the bunks. The carpet is very thin! I have the far outside drivers side bunk that the carpet is worn through to the wood towards the far back. The rest look like they have some life left, but not much. I put the trailer as far back as I can, try not to power load crazy or anything. Come on, less than 1 year out of the carpet?

i had an EZ loader bunk trailer on my previous bass boat and never had any issues at all with the carpet.

What have others experienced? Looks like a pain to put new carpet on these bunks.

My 2004 Ranger bunks lasted about 10 years until the wood rotted on one side. I measured them and built replacements using 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber from Home Depot. I picked up a roll of premium boat bunk carpet and some indoor/outdoor carpet glue. I cut the bunks to match the original length. Glued the carpet in place as well as used stainless screws and washers to secure. That was almost 10 years ago and my replacements are still like new.

3. Member
    The Nitro bunks have a bevel cut on them to work with the Nitro Hull. Wish I could just use flat boards and put carpet on .

I'm in touch with the dealer and going to send pictures. Who knows, maybe they will replace!

They will replace if less than 1 year. And will replace if you have the Premier Pro Warranty minus the deductible...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

I heard not to use "green treated" lumber unless it is "kiln dried pressure treated" something about a chemical reaction with a wet hull.

my 2015 bunks have launched the boat 550 times and still going good, never have time to dry off.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

If you have a custom wood mill nearby (and you probably do), check into getting cypress boards. They are tolerant of being dunked, have limited knots and will last a long time. Knots are NOT your friend when it comes to bunks. They are weak points in the boards and where they normally break.

OBTW, The bunks on my 2004 Nitro lasted 6 years.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    20 years so far.

8. Member
    My carpet was showing some wear last year so I ordered a set of Gatorbaks. As recommended by Gatorbak, I bought some pressure treated boards from Lowe's and let them sit in my shop for over 3 months until the moisture content was 17% or less. I then painted them with a couple of coats of black oil based enamel. Gatorbak recommended that for my Z19 hull I rout a 3/4 inch roundover on the long inside boards and use plain flat ones on the outside short boards. Gatorbak has a style that fits the roundover and, of course, the flat. If you look the inside board sits between strakes that are closer together than the outside ones. The rounded over boards are a better fit because the curvature is more pronounced in that part of the hull. I only had a chance to use the boat a couple of times before I quit for the winter but what a difference in loading. The boat just glides on now and only takes a little throttle to get it to the bow roller. Evidently Gatorbak changed their formula and power loading is now okay.

I did keep the old boards and they appear to be just flat 2X4's.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

On my 2006 they lasted about 6 years. Replaced them with pressure treated boards and let them sit for about a month. Never routed them, just covered with good carpeting and glue. Filled the holes underneath with silicone before tightening them down. They were still looking like brand new 4 years later when I sold it. My 2016....needs new boards/new carpeting. they definitely didn't last as long.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Mine lasted 4 years. Two of my bunk boards were cracked into. When I replaced all of them, everyone were rotten to some extent.

11. Member
    Z9 2015 2yrs.2012 pro 175 3yrs.2017 fish barge 2yrs.several other tracker trailers avg.3 yrs.only problems with many bps boats I've had

12. Member
    I had one board that rotted in two years. I replace all of them.

13. Banned
    Any pics of the new boat?

14. Member
    Going on 3rd season with mine and they look brand new, nothing loose. I swapped them out day one with gatorbaks on home depot pressure treated wood. Carpet holds water and rots wood, also the potential for hull blistering. Quickly rotting wood is a solid sign of bunks not having time to dry and well thus the greater potential for.........

I know I have asked this before, no issues with the gatorbacks? Scratching the hull or loading?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I know I have asked this before, no issues with the gatorbacks? Scratching the hull or loading?
    I've only launched a few times as it was October when I installed mine. I don't see anything that would be a concern.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

17. Member
    I have a 2019 Z19 so are the factory bunks curved to fit the new hull or are they flat. If there is a problem with the factory bunk i will buy son treat lumber and get these fix before i have them rot on my later?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Any pics of the new boat?
    If I could figure out how to post without pic being sideways!

The boards themselves are fine...It's the carpet that is bad. I sent pics to dealer and they have forwarded on to Tracker warranty claim department.

Hopefully I will get new carpet, or new bunks under warranty.

19. Member
    BobD2369, My trailer bunks lasted a little more than 5 years. Two bunks were rotten so I replaced my 4 bunks with non-wood bunks called "Ultimate Bunks" and attached them with stainless hardware. No carpet on these "composite" 2x4 bunks. Nothing to rot, so far, so good! Ordered everything online and replaced bunks myself in an hour at the ramp parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    Going on 3rd season with mine and they look brand new, nothing loose. I swapped them out day one with gatorbaks on home depot pressure treated wood. Carpet holds water and rots wood, also the potential for hull blistering. Quickly rotting wood is a solid sign of bunks not having time to dry and well thus the greater potential for.........
    Not true about constantly wet bunks rotting quicker, ever wondered why sunk trees break of at the water line? Not below water? It's because when the wet wood dries and repeat it wears them faster. He as my 2015 that has been dipped 550x 2 are still good. They never dry, they freeze in the winter and start dripping on my way to the lake in the spring.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast