Pantera Classic vs ZX200

Wondering if anyone had any experience with both boats? In the market for a new one and these two are the two I’m choosing between. Pricing is similar and size is similar. I’ve owned both brands and had no complaints on the build quality on either brand. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    Basscat still a better boat. I have not driven a new classic if you are talking new. But my old 2008 has passed every Skeeter we have encountered. The boat is beyond solid, the all fiberglass transom is as strong as a steel wall. And the support from mountain home is always fantastic. And of course you can get a black motor on them, little harder with a skeeter. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    I have had both brands and there is no way I would EVER pick a Skeeter over a BassCat. A Skeeter is a mass produced, cookie cutter boat. A BassCat is more of a custom manufacture, with attention to detail product.
    Last edited by printman71; 01-29-2020 at 08:29 AM.

4. Member
    Choice of motor. BassCat yes, Skeeter Yamaha only. My old partner has a 1998 that he had since new. Great boat all around boat and handles great. Another friend of mine owned a 200. Driving down the lake it wasn’t no where as stable as the cat. Just didn’t have a secure feeling.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

5. Member
    If the trailer is important to you as well, as it should be, a BCB trailer is pretty well the best around. i have a 2019 Classic with the V8, but have never owned a Skeeter, although I have always though that they were fine boats too.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    My previous boat was a 2015 Skeeter I now own a 2018 PII. Bass Cat makes one hell of a boat. I have no complaints with fit, finish, quality of parts, design and customer service. Driving a Cat is fun, they are fast and agile. Sort of a race car feel. Skeeters are extremely stable, no chine walk at all, but they are slower then a Cat and sort of boring to drive. As for the trailer, hands down Bass Cat. If you tow long distances you will appreciate a Bass Cat trailer. Most of the lakes are fish are at least 1 hour from my house with some highway time. Bass Cat makes the best boat trailer I have towed.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    I love my Classic. The offset lids on the front deck are the neatest thing. I use the step cooler as a day box as the cooler under the seat is plenty big for snacks and drinks. Overall it fits my needs and wants perfectly.

I much prefer the ride and fit and finsihs of a BCB but one thing important is CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I used to own a 1994 Skeeter...it had wiring problems...called Skeeter and they essentially said "Figure it out on your own kid or buy a new Skeeter".

I also owned a 1996 Pantera classic...it had some wiring issues as well...I called BCB they put me on hold...got the OWNER OF BCB (Rick Pierce) and he spent 15 minutes of his day helping me diagnose and fix the problem on the phone...just some kid with a 20 year old boat that he truly wanted to help..that is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    If the trailer is important to you as well, as it should be, a BCB trailer is pretty well the best around. i have a 2019 Classic with the V8, but have never owned a Skeeter, although I have always though that they were fine boats too.
    I completely agree with the trailer assessment. I owned a Skeeter ZX250, sold it due to new house garage size (wife won that battle), then purchased a Sabre. That single axle bass at trailer pulled smoother than the tandem under that skeeter ever thought about.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    I love my Classic. The offset lids on the front deck are the neatest thing. I use the step cooler as a day box as the cooler under the seat is plenty big for snacks and drinks. Overall it fits my needs and wants perfectly.
    I looked at one in person yesterday and I was surprised at the storage in the boat. Maybe a little bit of getting used to but a good bit more storage than the skeeter has.

So I have a little different perspective, I went from an older Skeeter ZX185 to a 2010 PII - obviously a pretty big upgrade! Now I really liked fishing out of that little Skeeter and it was almost 20 years old with lots of fishing time. However it wasn't fast at all and there were a lot of little things that were hard to fix/upgrade. But the boat itself rode like a bigger boat and fished very nice. The fit & finish was okay and the trailer was fine, no real problems. I was actually looking at a newer Skeeter when I bought the PII a little over a year ago.

I had no idea when I bought the PII that I was getting a new family! Haha! I have had a few phone calls with Bass Cat and been treated very well every time. And this boat is a huge upgrade from the Skeeter in every way. Now it hasn't been with out issues, but I bought an 8 year old boat with 560 hours on it so that's to be expected. Most of the things I have had to do have been motor related - trim system, oil tank & pump, fuel sensor etc. But now I am having to replace the axle on the trailer which is a little frustrating. But the build quality is very good on the Bass Cat and it's so much fun to drive! I'm still not crazy about the narrow front end, but I'm getting better with it.

I looked at a new Classic at the boat show and pretty sure that will be my next boat in a few years - the layout is so good on that boat! I can live without a few bells and whistles to have the wider beam forward and the storage layout.

So over all, I would say Skeeter makes a fine boat and they ride bigger than they are. They fish nice and look good too. They aren't as fast as a Bass Cat and the build quality is a step below as well. I think someone above said Skeeter is a mass produced boat while Bass Cat is more of a custom boat builder and I would agree with that. I was told a longtime ago by a few different people that once you own a Bass Cat it's unlikely you'll ever own another brand of bass boat and I now agree!

Best of luck with your decision and your next boat!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

I think a simple test drive in either of those boats you'll be swayed towards the bass cat pretty quickly... A buddy just got a 819 pro... came from a zx200 and he was more or less mad at himself for owning it so long.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

13. Member
    Went with the Pantera Classic. Thanks for all the feedback.

14. Member
    Where’s the pictures?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoTaco View Post
    Awesome
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Congrats
    Brad Krone

17. Member
    Excellent choice!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoTaco View Post
    Welcome to the BCB family and congrats on a new rig!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Congrats on the new rig! Post some pictures!
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"