Thread: WAAS Enable?

WAAS Enable?

Do most people enable WAAS? And if so, can I do it in the Living room without anything connected or do I need my Point 1 connected?

2. Member
    With HDS units enabling WAAS doesn’t hurt anything. If you are within range of a transmitter it will augment the GPS data and possibly provide greater accuracy. If you are not in range, the HDS does not require a signal even if the menu command is enabled. If you can pick up a GPS signal in your living room you can pick up a WAAS signal assuming there is a satellite or transmitting station near you.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    My concern is enabling it while no Point one connected. I noticed the unit was configuring after I enabled it, does it need to "configure" while a Point One is connected or does it not matter? Configuring makes me think it needs to configure to a Point One but maybe I am overthinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    My concern is enabling it while no Point one connected. I noticed the unit was configuring after I enabled it, does it need to "configure" while a Point One is connected or does it not matter? Configuring makes me think it needs to configure to a Point One but maybe I am overthinking it.
    U are overthinking. Follow NoCal advice.

5. Member
    Don’t mean to sound rude but NoCal didn’t actually give advice, he told me how it worked, which was great. But my concern, which I don’t think anyone has addressed, is does the unit need to be connected to my Point One when enabling WAAS because it configures the unit? Does it need to be configured with the Point One connected?

Sorry if I’m not making myself clear, I have googled this multiple times with different wordings to find the answer but haven’t had any luck.

6. Member
    NO.

7. Member
    Any WAAS/GPS receiver can pick up both signals. The HDS head unit will do fine as long as the signal can get through your roof. The only difference between the Point 1 and the head unit is the heading sensor. As far as GPS, they are identical. I was not clear in my first post when I said if you can pick up a signal you can use WAAS/GPS.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    I’m not planning to use it in the house, I was just going through the unit getting things setup for when I go fishing. I saw where someone recommended enabling WAAS so I thought I would do it now so I wouldn’t forget later. After enabling I noticed it was configuring and just wondered if it needed to wait till I had it on the boat and the Point One connected so it would configure with it.

Thanks

9. Banned
    Simple enough, wait until you have it hooked to the point 1. Now you can have peace of mind....