Speed and Chine Walk?

Curious what you guys are getting. I’m very interested how they ride at top speed. My Legend V-20 was a 68-71 mile an hour boat and had absolutely zero chine walking or front end movement. I just sold my latest brand boat(don’t want to bash) cause it walked all over the place. I don’t have time for all that or want to learn to drive through it or get used to it. I have a owned and have ton of seat time in 4 other brands to compare it to. Please give me your honest thoughts and comparisons. Thanks again!

2. Dustin Ray
    74 mph out of my 205 with a Suzuki 250SS. Has more speed but starts walking a bit beyond 74.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinray View Post
    74 mph out of my 205 with a Suzuki 250SS. Has more speed but starts walking a bit beyond 74.
    Do you have a manual or a hydraulic jack plate?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinray View Post
    What type of load are you hitting 74 with?

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    buy a Ranger.....great boat, top quality, fit and finish is superior, no chine walk
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Member
    Mine walks a little when it’s light. But, loaded with 50gal fuel, 2 guys, all your gear, it’ll run 72-3 and you can drive with one finger! I will tell you that there are a few factors that will help you quite a bit. Making sure your weight is distributed fairly evenly thru the boat is one. People load their boats heavy on one side and wonder why they drive squirrelly. It’s not balanced well! Secondly, finding the sweet spot for your motor height will help. Mine will run good at several different heights and trim levels. But, one in particular it runs 1.5-2mph faster and is much easier to drive. I’ve got a hydraulic plate which makes it easy to adjust. Lastly, making sure your prop is balanced helps a ton! My new prop was pretty good when I got my boat. But, I took it and had it B&B’d and it helped the handling a noticeable amount! Hope some of this helps!
    Last edited by 1rudebee; 02-01-2020 at 08:01 AM.

7. Member
    If you don’t want chine buy a heavy slow boat like a ranger

8. Member
    All performance hull boats will chine walk.
    If you want to get away from boats that walk, look into either a Ranger or Skeeter FX series or earlier. I hear the new FXR will walk due to hull changes.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. Banned
    If you don't want walk just bump the trim down.

Any boat that gets completely up on pad will walk.

10. Dustin Ray
    Hydraulic

11. Dustin Ray
    Boat loaded with tackle, 10' talons, lithium batteries, full fuel, me and my son

12. Banned
    I've been in a newer 520 Ranger that walked pretty good, more than I liked for sure.

13. Member
    I too got rid of my last boat because I gave up trying to drive it through its bad behavior. Compared to this last boat, my 205 is effortless to drive into the low 70s.

14. Member
    I’ve had a Ranger 520c and a Nitro Z-9 and neither one of the walk. However, they are the two worst rough water rides I’ve ever been in. I didn’t like both of those boats. Looking forward to test driving a Falcon for sure I’ve heard many good things.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    buy a Ranger.....great boat, top quality, fit and finish is superior, no chine walk
    No chine walk but possible bow steering from past threads I've seen.

16. Member
    I'm not sure what boat Craigjc00 will end up with......But he is my hero....I took him for a 82mph hit in a Ballistic while it was snowing......and he was in SHORTS

Good luck on your boat search...was great to meet ya!

17. Member
    high performance bass boat will chine walk if you let it.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    My Ranger walks. 521 with a Merc 250xs. Starts at 72 thru 75. Not terrible, but it gets light in the front. Feels good to me.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

19. Member
    May be overtrimming.....mine (205 Falcon) with 250 Merc xs flies straight and true to 77.2 with a 25 Tempest.
    Hull is actually faster when trimmed down one bump !