Triton 18 pro performance increase

Hey guys, I have a 2013 Triton 18 pro with a merc 150 4S... I have owned and enjoyed the boat for about 2 years now, but I'm getting back in the swing of tournament fishing so it's time to address the big performance shortcomings of the rig. Keeping in mind I'm running a 150 4S, so not winning many races.

Currently the boat is turning a merc spitfire 4 blade (the boat was a repo and I have no idea why this prop was being used) with no jackplate... with just myself in the boat I can run around 52-54 WOT, holeshot is good with less than a half tank and empty wells, however tournament fishing with my partner and a full tank and wells we get about 46 from her, with a horrible holeshot.

So. Upgrades.
    Managed to get a 21p fury, plan on adding a 6" slidemaster, water pressure gauge, 2 power poles and my garmin force on the nose.

The poles and force might cut speed a little but my hope is a properly tuned jackplate and decent prop will offset that and maybe see some gains.

Am I missing anything? I hate bench racing but is anyone else running a 18'6" Triton with the 150 getting anything better than 55? I get left in the dust by rangers...

Measure your prop to pad

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
    Measure your prop to pad
    That was going to be the first thing I did on stock before adding the plate, and to give me a starting point anyways

I had an 08 TR186 with a 150 Optimax (not ProXS) and saw 61 once or twice. High 50s with two guys was an everyday thing. I ran a 23p Tempest+ I don't know if that would be the right prop for that 4S.

When I got it, it would walk like crazy starting at about 56. So, I started raising the motor 1/2" or so and watching water pressure. Finally got it where it would run WOT with not steering input and still had good water pressure.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    You need to know your loaded RPM's @WOT.

6. Member
    Realize I misspoke as well, I picked up a 21p tempest plus, not the fury. High 50's would be great. Loaded I'd have to take a look at rpms. Definitely wasn't getting much lift running the spitfire.

For the water pressure I would recommend saving yourself some money and just get the mercury vessel view mobile. I think its a great tool with lots of info for a decent price
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenheadz View Post
    For the water pressure I would recommend saving yourself some money and just get the mercury vessel view mobile. I think its a great tool with lots of info for a decent price
    Trust me! I'd love to!

9. Member
    Although I was under the impression the mobile doesn't show water pressure?

10. Member
    What hole is the motor bolted through now top or second down? Should be in second from top and that would give you a prop to pad of 4.25". You can't compare speeds with a 2 stroke either since the gears are different. 2 stroke has 1.87 gears and four stroke has 1.92 gears so the 4 stroke will be 2 mph slower running the same prop. Adding the plate will help but adding the poles will cut some of the gain you would get from the plate. Set the prop to pad at 3.5" under pad once you have the plate and raise from there. Your max rpm's on that motor are 5800.

11. Member
    Currently in the 2nd hole, I intend on sending the tempest to mark regardless of my other actions on the rig... so hopefully once I get everything set up we can squeeze everything that prop is good for out of it. Thanks for the prop to pad numbers! If I get any answers on the vessel view mobile being able to read water pressure I'll almost certainly go that route as well

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Although I was under the impression the mobile doesn't show water pressure?
    I have a 2013 Pro XS and it show's water pressure. I think they have a diagram that shows all the features per motor
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenheadz View Post
    I have a 2013 Pro XS and it show's water pressure. I think they have a diagram that shows all the features per motor
    Well a few lengthy searches seem to reveal that the 150 4S does support water pressure in mobile, with the block pressure sensor installed... I'm absolutely going to go this route then

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Well a few lengthy searches seem to reveal that the 150 4S does support water pressure in mobile, with the block pressure sensor installed... I'm absolutely going to go this route then
    I guess mine had the sensor already installed but I do remember seeing you could install your own and then it would work as well. I think
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah