Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Digthemup,

No bail outs in the marine business.

When fiberglass boat sales were that high the 115 and 150 engines were staples. Today they take up a very small percentage of that market. We tried to change patterns some with the Margay or Eyra and could not hardly sell lower tier packages. Both models will run well below horsepower limitations and selling an Eyra with a 200 ended with retail consumers going up to 250’s often, the same is true for 70-115 upgrading to a 150 HP on the Margay.

Your point is price, though our consumer doesn’t have interest in rigs with less equipment or less price it seems. The folks on forums like this taunt the buyer into sticking with larger horsepower and good graphs. Whereas those 1990 model moats we sold were less.

We sold a Phelix model (15’ 9”) in 1985-1990 that ran very well (50 MPH plus) with a 70-85 HP engine and it maxed at 85 HP. Today there is almost zero interest in that fiberglass segment as it shifted to aluminum. The same holds true for the 16’ 9” Margay (60 MPH plus) of that era which maxed at 125 HP.

In those times aluminum boats were not the portion (size) of the market they are today. That’s where a good portion of the small fiberglass market is at today. Even then those boats are not usually loaded with Power Poles, three (3) 10” graphs and side imaging. They manage their costs much better than the 20’ to 21’ bass boat consumer. And those options are what the 20’ consumer wants on his rig, so that cost will continue to climb as features and wants do. Tracker, Express, DuraCraft, G3, SeaArk, AlumaCraft, Lowe, Allweld, Axis, and many more have entered the “aluminum bass” boat segment. There were some though sales have escalated more than sequentially to GDP.

We have done our share also from the old 14” steel wheels and no brakes days. Today regulations require dual axle brakes, and we put on pivot tongues, steps and grab posts, as well as 18” custom made wheels and more trinkets. We built the first computer dash with gauges in 1992 calendar year and now there are many with SmartCraft style features. What did hydraulic steering add to the cost, and it’s justified by so many.

Every nickel is just like home building.
    its not the house that costs that much more to build, it’s the why don’t we’s, let’s just, while we are, let’s add a shelf while we options that add to that base price tag.

we get it...

BCB

[QUOTE=digthemup;10862179]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Bass boat sales slid in the recession as did vehicles sales, though not to the percentage of levels mentioned. They basically half that percentage as the volume was in the teens, not 36k units annual. We haven’t seen 36k in annual unit sales of bass boats since the early to mid 1990’s era.

Yes agreed, recessions are disastrous, especially the created 1 of 2008 by financial institution greed, but everybody paid dearly and they got bailed out and made a killing.( I am sure Rick didn't get a bail out check neither did my construction company).
    Everything dependent on loan credit tanked, since overzealous government regulation kept credit tighter than a frog's a$$ hole, though plenty of money around.

Yet, ask yourself the true genesis of why were there 36K annual unit sales marks in mid late 1990s? no a trick question, but a very simple 1.

2. Member
    Tracker Marine states the Nitro Z18 is “America’s best-selling fiberglass bass boat”. So there must be a market for it. I get there is more profit margin in a $70k+ boat but unless I stumble into some sort of windfall there is no way possible I will ever own one.

3. Member
    [QUOTE=Bass Cat Boats;10864145]Digthemup,

No bail outs in the marine business.

Your point is price, though our consumer doesn’t have interest in rigs with less equipment or less price it seems. The folks on forums like this taunt the buyer into sticking with larger horsepower and good graphs. Whereas those 1990 model moats we sold were less.

Every nickel is just like home building.
    its not the house that costs that much more to build, it’s the why don’t we’s, let’s just, while we are, let’s add a shelf while we options that add to that base price tag.

we get it...

BCB

As I said, I know you nor I got any bail out, and you are right that folks get talked up by Pro and "other pros" on bigger power, electronics, power pole, etc. Many are the ways that separate a fool from his money, I don't see a HUGE difference between my Humminbird 999ci HD SI or 959ci HD DI other than price upside, and I have never caught any fish at speeds over 3 mph, which that was trolling with 5 downriggers on the back of my big Sea Ray for salmon/trout. Some will tell you that getting to the fishing hole first is the reason they need that high 70+ mph, but I have caught plenty of bass getting to that area second or third, since mastering techniques is more important than getting there first.

BTW, I don't know how much your material costs have gone up, but home building material has gone up exponentially from wood, utility material, concrete, gravel, etc. Yet, I still spec my model with normality in mind sub 300K, but we built custom into the 1,000K, which is the exception NOT the norm that seems to have proliferated in boats, cars, trucks, RVs, etc.
    I was discussing this with my realtor, and he agrees that easy money and social media is enslaving many good people into payments needing multiple jobs to keep up with.
    I am starting a final section of my subdivision of 42 lots, and it has sent my mind sideways the cost of undergrounds and road, lighting,sidewalks, BS town fees and letter of credits from 10 yrs ago, yet like you, this is the vocations we have chosen to labour in making a livelihood so we go along to get along with today's demands.
    Be well and be blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Try living in Canada where you can add 40% to those prices.
    I guess that is due to taxes....a?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I guess that is due to taxes....a?
    No, it is because of our weak dollar. Approximately 33% exchange rate. A 75k US dollar boat is 100k in Canadian dollars. Our economy is not as strong.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    No, it is because of our weak dollar. Approximately 33% exchange rate. A 75k US dollar boat is 100k in Canadian dollars. Our economy is not as strong.
    We were just about even up but a few years back, till things started to head sideways with the last couple administrations. That is too bad, since I used to enjoy going up to the Glen House Resort in Gananoque, Ontario before the passport BS requirement. It is a shame the way they are playing us, since I enjoyed Kingston and Gananoque way back from 1975.

7. Member
    Boats are like everything else now days, expensive! I’ve reached a point in my life that I really just refuse to go into debt for a new boat. I would NEVER finance one for more than 5 years, regardless of purchase price. My only new boat purchase was a 2009 Triton 21HP Pro with a Mercury 250 Pro XS and I paid $42,000 for that boat.

I have since sold that boat and recently purchased a Triton TR196 with a Mercury Optimax 200, looks almost new, runs great and NO MONTHLY PAYMENT.

I absolutely love to fish but I’m not a “pro” and I don’t need the latest and greatest to catch fish and enjoy a day on the lake.

That being said, in the next year or two I plan on buying a fairly new boat with a 4-stroke engine.

8. Member
    I remember when I bought my boat new in 2015. Ranger z119c with tandem trailer, 112 fortrex, dual power poles, ext. for 55k out the door. Paid 600 bucks in sales tax when I got it home cause the state only charged sales tax on the hull.

Skeeter at the time had just brought back the zx225 and zx250 as package deal boats. And they were 48,999 for the zx225 and 53,999 for the zx250. If I could still get a new boat today for those prices I would have another new one. But now both are over 60.

9. Banned
    I really think a 19' boat is the "sweet spot" in price, performance and resale value. They fish good, run good with a 225, priced a good bit lower than a 20' and people tend to keep them. Which makes finding good condition used 19' boats hard, drives the price up. Unless you're constantly running big water I don't see the need for a 20-21' boat.

That's just my opinion.

Men's Toys Are More then Kid's Toys...

11. Member
    I have seen more Triton boats on the water recently and looking at them, the price point isn't too bad. I know nothing about them or how they compare to nitro boats (I think owned by the same people), how they ride, etc. But they look pretty good for the price??

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    I have seen more Triton boats on the water recently and looking at them, the price point isn't too bad. I know nothing about them or how they compare to nitro boats (I think owned by the same people), how they ride, etc. But they look pretty good for the price??
    I'd say they used to be a step above a Nitro in terms of quality, fit, finish. Having looked new Nitro's I'm not sure that holds true any more. At least in terms of fit and finish. Nitro's looking really good. Quality wise is anyone's guess. My pre Johnny Morris Triton is built pretty good. They had some quality issues in 2017 and 2018 when they switched plants. I hear the 2019's and newer don't have those issues, apparently. Following some of the threads in the Triton sub here it seems their CS has taken a nose dive right in the shitter though.

I will say you do get a lot for your money with Triton's Patriot package boats. They ride and fish good.

My next boat will be a Falcon, if that tells you anything. lol

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910