Smith Mnt Lake early April

I am taking my son on a boys weekend getaway and was wondering if I could get some advice for fishing this time of year there(April).
    I'm not looking for spots just some simple advice to get me started for a short weekend of fishing.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Member
    make sure that you don't plan it the same weekend as the Big Bass tournament would be my best advice

PM Sent.

And as PSUHntr said, I'd make sure it's not the same weekend as the Big Bass tournament because there will literally be 400+ boats on the lake that weekend.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Thanks guys!

5. Member
    I'll echo what others have said. The weekend of the 24/25/26 is Big Bass Tour. There is also a FLW High School and College tournaments on the weekend of the 17/18. Not nearly the number of boats as Big Bass Tour, though.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    4/4/2020 Will also have the Elite 70 fishing

7. Member
    Fishing that time of year is a day to day pattern. It all depends on weather and how cold or warm the end of winter into spring is. My advice would be to start in the backs of creeks and work your way out. If we have a warm march the fish could be spawning or even some post spawn. If we have a cold march (it has been a very mild winter here) this fish could be prespawn looking to spawn.

Start in the backs with wacky rigs and poppers around docks and lay downs and work your way out. Secondary and main points with cranks, shaky heads and carolina rigs.
    When fishing in the creeks keep your eyes open and pay attention if you see fish on beds or just see them cruising around. Down towards the dam the water is crystal clear, up the rivers there is a little color but still very clear.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakekups88 View Post
    Fishing that time of year is a day to day pattern. It all depends on weather and how cold or warm the end of winter into spring is. My advice would be to start in the backs of creeks and work your way out. If we have a warm march the fish could be spawning or even some post spawn. If we have a cold march (it has been a very mild winter here) this fish could be prespawn looking to spawn.

Start in the backs with wacky rigs and poppers around docks and lay downs and work your way out. Secondary and main points with cranks, shaky heads and carolina rigs.
    When fishing in the creeks keep your eyes open and pay attention if you see fish on beds or just see them cruising around. Down towards the dam the water is crystal clear, up the rivers there is a little color but still very clear.
    Great info!! thanks

9. Member
    Free-line big shad on planer boards close to the shore on the northern banks and points (southern sun warms them first) with just enough speed to make the boards work (medium to slow trolling motor speed). If the water is warm (50 degrees+) work the nooks and crannys in the coves too. Big stripers are putting on the spring feed bag about then and will knock them three feet out of the water and pounce on them when they land. If you're not sure where to go, there several excellent guides that I can recommend.

10. Member
    Looks like I'll be there the 16th-19th, boating for a high school team. Used to go down that weekend for Big Bass Tour before they moved it. One year did very well with spinnerbaits in the backs of creeks. Another year, caught them in 15'-20' on points using a Carolina rig. All depends on how the weather goes and how shallow they push up.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Looks like I'll be there the 16th-19th, boating for a high school team. Used to go down that weekend for Big Bass Tour before they moved it. One year did very well with spinnerbaits in the backs of creeks. Another year, caught them in 15'-20' on points using a Carolina rig. All depends on how the weather goes and how shallow they push up.
    Thanks for the info! What end of the lake were you fishing.

12. Member
    Southern end. Launched at the Penhook ramp.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Southern end. Launched at the Penhook ramp.
    Thanks!