Trailer light issue- help!

My lights parking/running lights are all working on my trailer. Left trailer light everything works. Right trailer light has no turn signal or brake light.

Where do I start checking? I’m 100% rookie at this. Coach

2. Member
    Old Bulb style or LED ? Check all connections. Or bulb may be bad

Check the GREEN wire. Check the bulb, then the ground wire at the light then Start at the truck plug and work your way back. You either have no power to it or no ground.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Thanks! I’m checking it when I get home.

Look a the wiring diagrams in the Sticky thread about trailer wiring at top of page. They will be a guide for what the different color wire are supposed to do. I would start at the tow vehicle checking for voltage at the connector pins that correspond the problem lights. Then go to the trailer and check for continuity for the same wires.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Fuse under the hood of the truck
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    If every thing else is working, I'd check the bulb first and then check the wires at that bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    If every thing else is working, I'd check the bulb first and then check the wires at that bulb.
    This ^^^^^
    I would check the bulb first and then go to the plug-in to make sure you are getting voltage from the truck.
    This is a helpful little tool for that purpose:

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Fuse under the hood of the truck
    CatFan just threw out some real wisdom, lol.
    I just updated the lights on my trailer to include back up lights. It should have been a simple job, and if I had paid attention, it probably would have been. for starters, just because the led lights come with a black ground wire, and a white hot stop wire, that doesn't mean you connect white to white and black to black at the trailer. Turns out those colors are backwards to the trailer, and the lights won't work right. lesson 1 learned, read the wiring diagram.
    After getting everything hooked up correctly, my right side turn signal wasn't working. Usually, that means a bad ground connection, or bad power connection somewhere. Started at the light, and all of the connections seemed good. Ground had to be good, because it was the same ground the rest of the circuit was using, and the running lights came on just fine. Tore apart the rigging from the trailer to the plug, and checked all of my wires to make sure there weren't any burned or broken wires, and everything looked fine. Now I'm scratching my head a little... Am I not getting power on that circuit from the plug? So I tore the plug apart to make sure everything was connected properly, being sure to read the wiring diagram this time. Mama Lewis didn't raise no idiot . Plug wiring was good, so I put it back together, and rewrapped the whole pigtail back to the trailer, just like new.
    Still don't have power, and the turn signal still isn't working, so I borrowed my neighbor's meter, and started testing the plug to see what might be going on. My buddy was helping me by turning lights on, and says to me "Hey, did you check the fuse?". I had one of those moments. You know the one. Your brain says I been tryin to tell ya, but you wouldn't listen... He pops the fuse panel, and sure enough, right side stop/turn fuse is blown. Doh!. Lesson 2 learned, check the fuse first.
    We head on over to the local parts store, and of course they don't sell just one fuse, so I buy a new pack. I pop the fuse panel off, and when I grab the little fuse puller thing off the panel, I find the spare fuses that are also attached to the panel. You know, in case you blow a fuse and need a spare.
    Only took me 3 hours to diagnose and fix that blown fuse... Well, Mama tried...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdog 190 View Post
    I just updated the lights on my trailer to include back up lights. .................................................. .......................I find the spare fuses that are also attached to the panel. You know, in case you blow a fuse and need a spare.
    Sometimes its the journey, sometimes it's the destination. At least you got there.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdog 190 View Post
    I just updated the lights on my trailer to include back up lights. It should have been a simple job, and if I had paid attention, it probably would have been. for starters, just because the led lights come with a black ground wire, and a white hot stop wire, that doesn't mean you connect white to white and black to black at the trailer. Turns out those colors are backwards to the trailer, and the lights won't work right. lesson 1 learned, read the wiring diagram.
    After getting everything hooked up correctly, my right side turn signal wasn't working. Usually, that means a bad ground connection, or bad power connection somewhere. Started at the light, and all of the connections seemed good. Ground had to be good, because it was the same ground the rest of the circuit was using, and the running lights came on just fine. Tore apart the rigging from the trailer to the plug, and checked all of my wires to make sure there weren't any burned or broken wires, and everything looked fine. Now I'm scratching my head a little... Am I not getting power on that circuit from the plug? So I tore the plug apart to make sure everything was connected properly, being sure to read the wiring diagram this time. Mama Lewis didn't raise no idiot . Plug wiring was good, so I put it back together, and rewrapped the whole pigtail back to the trailer, just like new.
    Still don't have power, and the turn signal still isn't working, so I borrowed my neighbor's meter, and started testing the plug to see what might be going on. My buddy was helping me by turning lights on, and says to me "Hey, did you check the fuse?". I had one of those moments. You know the one. Your brain says I been tryin to tell ya, but you wouldn't listen... He pops the fuse panel, and sure enough, right side stop/turn fuse is blown. Doh!. Lesson 2 learned, check the fuse first.
    We head on over to the local parts store, and of course they don't sell just one fuse, so I buy a new pack. I pop the fuse panel off, and when I grab the little fuse puller thing off the panel, I find the spare fuses that are also attached to the panel. You know, in case you blow a fuse and need a spare.
    Yes. On newer vehicles there are fuses for the towing wiring. If you have a trailer package there will almost certainly be fuses.