Normal four stroke vs pro xs four stroke

Looking at ordering a Ranger Z518 with a 200 hp Mercury. I have the option for a regular four-stroke or the pro xs. I realize the pro xs is more suited for a bass boat but here are my questions

These are probably more for Don or other mechanics but anyone feel free to give your thoughts.

1. How is reliability between the normal four stroke and the pro xs four stroke?
    2. How is the maintenance costs and upkeep between the two?

Thanks

I believe the major difference between a normal 200 and a 200 Pro XS is the regular 200 is the 3.4L V6, where the 200 Pro XS is a 4.6L V8.

In a bass boat application, go Pro XS no doubt.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

3. Member
    I would almost expect the 200 v8 to be less prone to failure. as it is basically a 300 detuned. it barely breaking a sweat. the reg 4 stroke will have less noise. and be slightly smaller. but also give up a few mph and some holeshotq
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As indicated above, this would be a V6 vs. V8 Question. The 200 ProXS would be a V8 engine, and the torque, HP and overall performance will be MUCH better suited to your application.

Both equally durable engines- just that the ProXS is better suited to your application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Get the pro xs v8 hands down.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Sounds good. I will go pro xs. Thanks