Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Started off mowing with a 52 8N with a belly mower at age 10. My Dad still mows with it, refuses to run the newer ones. I now have a Kubota. Used to pull a tree planter with it. Now it bushhogs, plows, disks, and pulls wood. I hobby log with it and pull firewood out.

2. Banned
    I always thought driving tractor was one of the worst jobs on the farm. My dad and one of my brothers loved field work and I was always the cow guy. The "Big" tractor when I was young was a 656 International. Now they use big Fendt and Cat tractors, I dont even know the #'s of them.

3. Banned
    My dad and his older brother were the cow guys, at any one time there were around 2000 head on the farm. Cows, calves, steers, and bulls. All beef cows.

4. Member
    I’ve been on them more than I can remember. We didn’t farm but ran a country store in a farming community. The only way to,pick up extra money in the summer was to work on a farm,every summer from 12 until I was 21 and got a “real” job.

5. Member
    We had a few when we lived on the family land. My wife’s family let me cut my teeth on an old 3 cyl gas Ford...maybe a 2000? The novelty wore off quick LOL.

Learned to drive on a trickle type propane back in the 60's.
    When power steering came about it was heaven !
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    Yep, everyday...Attachment 391944.
    I'd say you got a thing for the orange tractors.

8. Member
    spent a summer driving a hay wagon at a pick your own farm. Drove everything from internationals to landini's. They had one old international that i believe was from the 60's that everyone hated driving. I loved the damn thing, it was rough and bumpy and the throttle was a simple piece of metal on a set of notches. Im sure there is a proper name for it.

Funny story actually, when i first started working there training was very minimal, well it came time to gas up my tractor and there was a blatant screw top near the top of the engine by the steering wheel. I filled it with gas and went on my work day. Well halfway through the day I ran out of gas but I thought the tractor had broken. Turns out I had put gas in the radiator! I dont know how the damn thing didnt explode and kill me.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

9. Member
    I grew up on the back of a 900 Case Propane tractor with a hand clutch. It had a buggy top for shade, and Dad had a 1 gallon glass jug wrapped in a burlap sack full of water to keep hydrated.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

10. Member
    Got a broke down JD in the barn, too expensive to fix or replace for the amount of work I need done.

Been a long time,used to plow a field for doves..on an old Brown tractor,think it was made in England?

12. Member
    83 Ford 1710

drove it Saturday at Moms. Grandpa bought it new and when he passed it had been sitting for over 10 years. We traded some hay tools and a box blade to a guy at the same dealer he bought it from who did it on the side more or less and brought it back to life. Memories, and he is looking down and me and my daughter putting around Moms in it. It will always be in our family.

13. Member
    Worked in eastern NC tobacco fields growing up. Drove old Allis Chalmers. International Harvester, John Deer and Ford tractors daily. Some mornings I would pull 6 to 8 tobacco carts down the highway at 10 mph. Any faster and they would start swaying back and forth..

14. Member
    I grew up on a small dairy farm so I've been on a tractor or two. It's been years since I've been on one at this point though.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pnut View Post
    1 big 4wd kubota
    1 small 4wd kubota both with cabs
    Nothing like Bush hogging and listening to the radio
    I have a little Kubota 225. It's hauled a few thousand cords, bush hogged a little, and now mainly runs the snowblower. The bush hogging I like to limit to a couple of acres at a time (no cab, no radio). After that it becomes like work. I like reclaiming old pasture--weaving in between trees, mowing trails, etc. more than just mowing hay unless the foxes are alongside catching mice.

My previous neighbor was an LEO and had 2 young boys at home. He got himself a zero turn to self-treat the stress. Said no one bothered him as long as the mower was running so he was out there 3X a week mowing the dirt.

16. Member
    I grew up on a sugar cane farm. Started driving at a young age and still do today. I bushhog for about 8 hours a month on the family place. I own 4 or 5 different tractors now all open station. The older I get the more I think I need cab and air.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Been on more kinds of tractors, loaders, excavators, skid loaders, dozers than I can count off the top of my head.
    My dream job would be mowing the side of the interstate in an enclosed cab with the Alman Brothers keeping me company.
    Long straight rows.....
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

As a teenager I worked for a farmer that put up a lot of hay and learned to drive his John Deere 60 B, I think was the number. It had a hand clutch.

19. Member
    Since childhood, 8N, 801 Powermaster Diesel, and now a JD 5045 Diesel. Hope I remembered all the numbers correctly.

I drive one at least twice a year. Skidsteer does most of the work these days though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast