Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Og751508 200efi power issue

Boat wouldn't come up on plane, was like it had no power but would idle ok, a little rough but would idle. So I changed the plugs charged the battery and went out yesterday. Started up and run good to first spot then about time I got to second spot it lost power again and wouldn't come back up on plane and had to idle back to ramp. Each run was maybe a half mile or little more but not far. Do I have a bad cranking battery or something else?
    1999 Blazer 202 pro v 200 mercury efi

2. Member
    dout its battery, check fr spark on all 6 when problem is occurring , check for degrading fuel line/or restricted fuel , inspect voltage regs and charging system for operation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    dout its battery, check fr spark on all 6 when problem is occurring , check for degrading fuel line/or restricted fuel , inspect voltage regs and charging system for operation
    Alright. Thanks I just thought it might be battery or charging related due to it running good at first then after the first quick run it would loose power again

So I checked the battery while it was charging with the onboard charger and it read about 12.9-13v. Unhooked the charger and it read the same but soon as I turned the key on it dropped to 12.2v. I didnt start it. Is this ok or do I need to start it and check it while running to get an accurate reading?

5. Member
    If you check battery as soon as you unhook charger that is normal, you have to let it rest a few minutes to settle down. To test battery have it load tested by shop. 12.2 V is low for a fully charged battery, should be around 12.6v but you may not have fully charged it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    If you check battery as soon as you unhook charger that is normal, you have to let it rest a few minutes to settle down. To test battery have it load tested by shop. 12.2 V is low for a fully charged battery, should be around 12.6v but you may not have fully charged it.
    I did check it as soon as I unplugged it from charger but it had been plugged up since Sunday and the two trolling motor battery lights on charger were solid meaning they were fully charged but the cranking battery light was still flashing green.

7. Member
    easy test hook it to another batt go run it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    does it seem to do it when its in gear and under a load? mine does the same thing once and a while. if I'm in the drive way running it and giving it rpms it does not do it. but when it does it I'm one the water in forward gear trying to go with little power then it pulls out of it and goes.
    2000 Ranger R93VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 1199
    Minn Kota Fortrex

I haven't put it on muffs. It does it under load while trying to get on plane. It won't even start to get on plane, it idles a little rough but it's not hard to start or anything. Once it's started for the day it fires right up but doesn't have power at all and will not even come close to getting on plane. But it run good the first two runs of the day which is why I thought the battery or the voltage regulators are not charging.

10. Member
    same thing mine does no balls to get on plane but once it pulls out of its funk its good for the rest of the day. I was told by a mechanic that these motors do not like to idle much and mine last year I did not get to run much at all do to the flooding here in Nebraska. I will say the previous year I had no probs at all do to running it before and after I was fishing
    2000 Ranger R93VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 1199
    Minn Kota Fortrex

11. Member
    he wrong they will idle for hours graphing and rip out of the hole like a cat with hemiroids

I had to replace one voltage regulator when I bought the boat several years ago and when it went out the battery completely died and wouldn't start

13. Member
    did the problem ever get resolved
    2000 Ranger R93VS
    1999 Merc 200efi
    Humminbird 1198 & 1199
    Minn Kota Fortrex

No. I took it out yesterday after swapping batteries and stroll does the same. Hard to start, idled rough and wouldn't even come close to getting on plane. According to the volt gauge on the dash the batteries are charging, when given gas it would read up past 13 and drop back to about 13 when let off gas. I have no idea. Could it be the stator or ecu? Or could it be the fuel filter and bad gas with fouled plugs? I'm at a loss no idea where to begin.

I also only put 100% gas no ethanol in it

16. Member
    did you test for spark on all cyls yet , hmmmmm

No not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by j archer View Post
    same thing mine does no balls to get on plane but once it pulls out of its funk its good for the rest of the day. I was told by a mechanic that these motors do not like to idle much and mine last year I did not get to run much at all do to the flooding here in Nebraska. I will say the previous year I had no probs at all do to running it before and after I was fishing
    Mine does the same thing and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It will get about 3,000 RPMS and not get on plane then will let loose and run great as you stated, mine seems to do it more when the motor gets warm. I can tell when it's going to do it by the sound of the idle before I take off and i should mention its only under load if you take it out of gear it revs right up
    Last edited by RANGER487; 03-02-2020 at 04:46 PM.

19. Member
    both are dropping cyls , spark or fuel, switchbox or ecu, BET

What's the switchbox?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast