Question Mercury engine data info to MFD question

I am upgrading my engine from a 2000 merc to a 2020 merc proxs. My ranger has a 8pin key harness and I will use a 8-14 pin adapter for the new engine. What will I need to obtain engine data from my merc to my Lowance 9 carbon? thanks in advance

You will need either a Vessel View Link or a Mercmonitor (Level 1 or 2) and a basic NMEA network. My personal opinion, the VVL is better but is better suited for larger screens - minimum 9”. Both are very capable additions, the VVL is limited to Lowrance only. If you plan on switching in the future, get the Mercmonitor. Have the data cable installed during the rigging. Everything else is easy.

Get with Don and Rhonda (European Marine) or all the parts you need and a BBC discount. They are the moderators of the Merc 3.0L and 4stroke areas.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    You will need either a Vessel View Link or a Mercmonitor (Level 1 or 2) and a basic NMEA network. My personal opinion, the VVL is better but is better suited for larger screens - minimum 9”. Both are very capable additions, the VVL is limited to Lowrance only. If you plan on switching in the future, get the Mercmonitor. Have the data cable installed during the rigging. Everything else is easy.

Get with Don and Rhonda (European Marine) or all the parts you need and a BBC discount. They are the moderators of the Merc 3.0L and 4stroke areas.
    Thanks for the info. I will reach out to Don for sure, he has done all my merc work. It's worth the drive for me a couple of hours to them for sure. I am hanging the new motor myself and i dont want to change all the guages (they are brand new) just get the digital from my MFD. On my offshore rig with Yamaha's the interface cable is just over a hundred per engine but for my Ranger, I only want my black box. Thanks again for the info

4. Member
    Just as an addition to 06SBS otherwise good info, VV Link works well with several brands, including Garmin and Simrad.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

You need:
    Vessel View Link unit from Merc
    A NEMA 2000 Network
    A SmartCraft Network (may be as simple as one harness).

Don Weed will know for sure. As for Hanging the Motor Yourself, talk w/ Don, there is a Pre Delivery Inspection required to get the warranty up and going.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D