new helix 9 mega setup help

IMG_0568.jpgIMG_0573.jpgI have a new helix 9 mega SI. Went out and played with it for 3 hours. Was wondering on some feedback of things to try. These 2 photos look grainy and have those dark marks. Do these photos look abnormal? I also have dots in the black part of the side imaging and of the down scan, are these normal (when sensitivity is all the way down, it still shows them).
    IMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgThese 2 showed stuff, you can see in the down scan in the top left of the 1st image and a tree in the 2nd. I'm sill working on getting the angle of the transducer correct.
    IMG_0574.jpgIMG_0575.jpgHere is how my transducer is mounted (first photo needs to be rotated). I also passed by a tree about 10-12 feet to the left of the boat (in 6-8 ft of water, tree sticks out about 4 feet above the water), but the tree did not show up on the side imaging.

2. Member
    Are you sure your high speed transducer (to the right) is not blocking the SI transducer ? Are you getting high speed readings with the high speed transducer in that position ?

You don't get that much pixelation from the transducer.
    Do a Restore Defaults and if that does not correct it, contact Humminbird Customer Service.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    What else do you have running at the same time?
    Any other units on, big motor, trolling motor?
    Get out to at least 10 fow and turn everything else you have in the boat off and see what happens.

5. Banned
    Total "Shade Tree" thought....

Does it clear up when the motor is off? There is a lot of vibration coming thru the jack plate form the motor. Might be worth trying. Go by the tree on the big motor then do it on the trolling motor (big motor off). Won't cost anything to try. Just seems the transducer is trying to sense very small vibrations it sent out in the water but it is mounted to the point on the boat that probably vibrates the most and nothing dampening that.

6. Member
    The transducer's shouldn't overlap, unless the SI transducer shoots beam forward at all (I did notice diminished returns on the right side compared to the left which could be from the other transducer). I will reset the unit and see what happens. No other electronics were running, just the big motor, power switch on and the helix running. I will add some rubber washers to see if this can help with the vibration. I did notice when I turned, it looked a little cleaner. I am on call this week, but will see how it does with just the TM running. Does anyone think I should lower the transducer (I can add a 1-2" block or some nuts in-between to lower it?)

Picture #2 shows you are going faster than the height above the hull bottom allows to not get cavitation. Cavitation is what the black streaks are.

The blocky 2D image in picture #3 is a processor malfunction.

Picture #4 looks like the Sharpness setting is used to backlight returns, that makes the image grainy looking. If that is not what you are doing that that is also a processor malfunction.

The less coverage on the right side is due to the Lowrance transducer blocking part of the SI pulse. A SI transducer "looks" to the sides and Humminbird's SI coverage is from water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Also, not in mega mode on side imaging

Ya the imaging looks like the Sharpness is on. Turn that off for less grainy.

That 2d is a disaster. Make sure its on Clear mode.

As said factory reset and start over.

10. Member
    One way to speed up the learning process is to take some recordings next time you are out. Then when you get home play them back and mess with the settings and dial it in. It makes a world of difference compared to adjusting out on the water.

11. Member
    IMG_0584.jpgIMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0590.jpgWent out today, I think the 1st image is zoomed in is a fish? Not sure what the rest exactly are or what they show. It definitely seemed to do better after resetting everything. I did add rubber washers around the bolts to help with vibration and lowered the transducer .5-.75 inches. However sometimes it shows some wearied things.
    Below are some of the wearied ones
    IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpg Feel free to give any feedback or setting adjustments, I didn't mess with the settings too much. Changed the contrast to work better i think decreased the sensitivity a point or 2 but that was about it. Couldn't get the unit to take pictures to the SD card, have to reread the manual.

12. Member
    The first picture is definitely a fish. The weird ones are just large schools of shad. Definitely looks a lot better. Personally I think your images are too hot..... I would recommend the turning the sensitivity down some.

13. Member
    I was also curious if anyone can tell me what or if the 2nd picture in the top row in the most recent post with pictures is showing?

Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    I was also curious if anyone can tell me what or if the 2nd picture in the top row in the most recent post with pictures is showing?
    Looks like a prop/exhaust trail you passed through like this:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL